Ch. 12 Draco

I woke the next morning early. the sun had barely started to show on the horizon and the rest of Gryffindor house slept in there beds without a single sign of waking. I quickly got dressed for the day. It was still early enough that no one else had woken yet. I stood in front of my trunk for a moment longer making sure the uniform was straight before rushing out of the room and to the great hall for breakfast. I reached the great hall a few moments later surprised to see Draco already in the room. I wasted no time launching myself into his arms letting his touch calm my anxiety. A smile pulled at my lips while his arms wrapped tightly around my waist.

"Nat," he said after a moment as I pulled away.

"Sorry it's just been a long night," I muttered as his eyes flashed with concern. I looked into his grey eyes with a sad smile.

"What's wrong?" He asked as I sighed again. I didn't want to tell him but I also wouldn't lie to Dray. He would want to know why I was upset and he had a right to that knowledge.

"I had a pleasant chat with Dumbledore," I muttered irritation leaking through my voice. Draco's eyes that held concern quickly shifted to anger at Dumbledore's audacity to confront me on the first day back. Draco's hands balled into fists as he stayed quite for a few moments before attempting to speak with me.

"I don't think you should stay in the castle. I think you should go back to the manor if he already came at you," Draco said but I shook my head. I fought so hard to come to Hogwarts as a child that I refused to let Dumbledore take this right from me.

"I won't allow him to take this away from me!" I snapped as Draco winced at my sharp tone. I took a breath to calm my anger so I didn't keep screaming at Draco. Draco didn't deserve my rudeness.

"Fine but at least sleep in the room of requirement," Draco asked as I nodded. It wasn't ideal but it's not like I had friends in Gryffindor anymore. "It's almost time for people to start showing up. We should try and squeeze in some time working on the Cabinet before potions."

"How do you know potions is first?" I questioned and Draco smirked handing me my timetable.

"Snape said Mcgonagall gave him both our timetables assuming you wouldn't want to interact with her while at Hogwarts," Draco said as I frowned. I wanted to see her but then her possible reason for avoiding me clicked. Dumbledore has no idea we are still on good terms and Mcgonagall wanted to keep it that way. She was protecting me like she always had.

"Well that's nice," I said following Draco from the great hall and to the room of requirement. We both made sure the hallway was empty before we entered the room. We rushed into the room searching for the vanishing cabinet. It took us ten minutes to find the cabinet but once we found the cabinet I looked over the damaged wood. I instantly knew how to fix the cabinet without having to struggle trying to repair it. "Simple fix." I murmured causing Draco to whine at me.

"But I wanted to fix it," he complained causing a laugh to escape my lips at his childish behavior.

"Go ahead and try but if you don't have it fixed by the end of the year I'll fix it," I told him with a smirk. I grabbed a random chair that wasn't buried under the mountain of items in the room sitting down to watch Draco attempt to fix the cabinet. I could tell his spell didn't have enough magical force to mend the cabinet. Draco grabbed an item to try but I grabbed his arm shaking my head.

"What?" He asked as I sighed.

"You didn't fix the cabinet yet," I told him as he nodded turning back to the cabinet trying once more to mend the cabinet. I relaxed watching Draco try over and over with little success.

"How come this isn't working?" He asked me as I got to my feet.

"Your magic at this moment isn't strong enough. Most wouldn't be able to mend cabinet which is why Dumbledore left the cabinet on the premises," I said simply. "Only Dumbledore, Mcgonagall and possibly Snape could repair the cabinet."

"Why are you so sure you can fix it?" Draco asked as I held out my wand. Draco's eyes widened with shock. I had to hold back a laugh at the expression on Draco's face while he stared at the wand. I hadn't shown him my new wand but even Draco had heard of my wand.

"We have time for you to try once more before class and then I recommend you try and strengthen your magic before trying more. If it doesn't work this time it won't until you are stronger," I said as he sighed trying the spell once more. Just like the last time nothing happened and so Draco and I left the room sprinting to potions class. I sat down beside Draco listening to Slughorn talk about the potion we would be making as well as the prize for whom ever makes the potion correctly. I knew I would but I also knew Hermione could make a potion just as good as mine. As I predicted my potion was perfect but what surprised me was Harry's potion. Harry wasn't good at potions and somehow his potion was slightly better than Hermione's.

"It seems I have two fantastic potions students. Harry and Natasha both won the competition," Professor Slughorn grinned as he gave both Harry and I the prize. I subtly handed the potion to Draco to use whenever he wished. Draco and I left potions walking to Professor Mcgonagall's class together. I smiled softly at the Professor while she kept her cool facade. I could see warmth in her eyes but it was difficult for people to see the kindness in the strict Gryffindor. I sat in the front with Draco on my right. Neither of us talked while Mcgonagall taught the class. I had found the class dull when I preformed the spell she was teaching flawlessly but I had no where else to be. The rest of the day passed uneventfully and like Draco requested I slept in the Room Of Requirements. I only hoped everything my father wanted worked out and soon so life could feel more normal again.