Ch. 39 New Friend

I arrived at Hogwarts and unlike Draco and his friends instead of heading into the great hall I walked over to the group of first years. I made my way to the front where McGonagall was watching the buzzing first years who had an all too familiar smile plastered across their faces.

"Natasha," she gasped as I grinned.

"I finally am going to see my true house," I told her as her eyes widened at me.

"I do hope you are sorted into my house once more though I don't think that will be the case," she said with a knowing smile on her face. A smile she really only showed to her closest students.

"We shall see Professor," I said simply.

"I'll go check with the new headmaster to see if everything is ready. Can you get them to line up while I do that?" She asked me softly. I nodded before whistling through my fingers to grab the talkative first years' attention.

"Hey kids. My name is Miss Riddle and in a few moments Professor McGonagall will return to escort you into the great hall where you will figure out which house will become your family. In order to do that I need you guys to form two lines to show the rest of the students what type of first years you are. Any questions?" I asked as a little red headed girl looked up at me. I could see her emotions on full display, fear and joy the same thing I felt when I started. I knelt down in front of her while the rest of the students started to form lines. "Hi, what's your name?"

"I'm Kate, Kate Thrush," she whispered as I smiled at her.

"Do you want to talk about what's bothering you?" I asked softly.

"What if I get the wrong house? My parents said I need to be in Gryffindor," she whimpered. My heart clenched as tears pooled in her blue eyes.

"I'm going to tell you a secret. I wasn't allowed to be sorted into the house I belonged in and it made me feel like I didn't belong anywhere. Let the hat place you not where your parents say but where it feels you belong. And I'll make you a promise right now, no matter what house you get I'll be your friend and I'll help you out whenever you need me to," I said firmly as she took a small shaky breath.

"Really?" She asked as I smiled.

"I'd make the unbreakable vow right now if you wanted," I said as she giggled. "Do you want to hold my hand when we enter the great hall?"

"Can I?" She asked as I nodded.

"We are ready for you," Professor McGonagall's voice rang out as I stood up taking Kate's little hand in mine. I lead the students into the hall smirking as the gasps of wonder filled the quiet room. I glanced at Kate seeing her blue eyes glowing with shock at the room. I smiled stopping at the front of the room. I took another step forward to ask McGonagall to resort me last so I could help Kate. McGonagall's eyes softened at the sight of the girl clinging to my left hand.

"Miss Riddle," Kate whispered as we watched student after student take their turn. I bent down looking at her.

"Call me Natasha, or Nat if you like," I said as she smiled at me.

"Which house did you get?" She asked me as I motioned to my tie.

"Gryffindor though I think my true house would have been Slytherin. I guess we will see at the end. I'm getting sorted again," I said as her jaw dropped.

"Are you scared?" She asked as I nodded.

"A little. I have been a Gryffindor so long I'm not sure if the hat will switch me though my parents said they will support me no matter which house I wind up in," I said as she nodded. Our conversation ended when her name was called. I felt her grip on me tighten for a moment before her hand slipped from mine. She looked over her shoulder at me as she walked towards the stool. I gave her a reassuring smile hoping it would help her. McGonagall places the hat on her head. It took seconds for the hat to yell out her house.

"SLYTHERIN!" The hat yelled as she paled slightly. I walked forward out of line knowing she needed me. I crouched down off to the side with Kate.

"It's okay. I promise. You got the house you deserve. My cousin Draco is known as the Slytherin prince. He'll look out for you if I don't wind up getting sorted into Slytherin," I said firmly. "He's the one with white blond hair."

"My parents are going to be so mad," she muttered as I wrapped my arms around her.

"If they are they don't deserve you," I said as she relaxed in my arms. "Now go to your house and I'll hopefully join you soon."

"Okay Tasha," she said causing my smile to widened at her choice in nickname. I watched her reach the table sitting beside Draco. I stepped back into line waiting for the rest of the students to be sorted. I found my heart racing the longer I had to wait. I wanted desperately to know where I truly belonged and even though I suspected where I belonged didn't mean I knew where. I was about to find out once and for all if I was going to follow my father and become the heir of Slytherin in Slytherin house once more.

"Natasha Riddle," McGonagall's voice broke me out of my thoughts as I looked up at the stool. I walked forward towards the stool the anticipation bubbling up inside me as I walked up the few steps. I touched the stool with my fingertips before sitting down as the members of Gryffindor glared at me. McGonagall lifted the hat placing it on my head as I shut my eyes. I was going to finally be sorted without interference.