Ch. 45 Curses

It was a few days before the end of break and I had been saving up my magical energy so I could take and shatter whatever curse the Carrows were under. I knew my only chance would be before break ended so I needed to head back early. I tracked down my mother to tell her goodbye before going back to Hogwarts.

"Mom," I called to her as she looked over at me from the breakfast table.

"Yes baby," she said as I sighed, I didn't want to tell her.

"I need to go back to Hogwarts today," I told her softly. I watched her smile fade at my statement.

"Oh," was all she said as I approached her. I wrapped my arms around her gently.

"I'm sorry but I need to. I love you," I said before she reached up caressing my cheek.

"Be careful," she said firmly. I nodded before forcing myself to the fireplace. I used the Floo network to take me straight to Hogwarts. I let the headmaster's office quickly locating the Carrows who had cornered a first year.

"Hey!" I growled causing them to look away from the first year. They both whipped their wands towards me but before they could cast a single curse towards me the spell flew off my lips. "Imperio." I watched their eyes fill with struggle until my magic overcame the curse they were under. Once I had completed control I released them. They both looked confused and scared when they saw me. "I saved you from the Imperious curse."

"Thank you Miss Riddle," Alecto spoke for them both.

"Anything for a loyal death eater," I muttered before heading to my room. Once there I checked to make sure everything was where I left it before I went to locate Snape. I found him in the astronomy tower looking out at the grounds of Hogwarts. The one spot I found peaceful had a darkness to it now. I wasn't comforted and instead felt more on edge looking out at the fog.

"Miss Riddle," Snape said acknowledging my presence.

"I fixed Amycus and Alecto. They shouldn't be a problem anymore," I said simply without looking away from the school grounds below. "My parents are ready for the battle whenever that happens. I just hope that Harry will see reason. Dumbledore was anything but a good person."

"Thank you Miss Riddle and I too hope the boy sees the truth," Snape drawled. I smiled softly before I walked out of the tower to find McGonagall to tell her what I had told Snape. I reached her office stepping inside and sitting on the chair across from her desk where she was sitting.

Her response was what I expected once I had filled her in on everything. "Thank you for protecting the students Natasha." Minerva's voice filled with pride. I couldn't stop the blush that spread across my face from her praise.

"I will protect the innocent until my last breath," I said firmly. She smiled at my comment before she glanced at the stack of papers in front of her. I saw the Order of the Phoenix seal on many of the pages. They were up to something big and I needed to know what.

"What is the order up to?" I asked her casually. She frowned her eyes locking with mine. I could see the concern in her eyes before she spoke.

"They want to take you or break you. They know you are the only threat out there so they tasked a group to lure you out," she said after a moment. "I am one though they don't know I'm on your side Natasha."

"Who else?" I questioned.

"Kingsley and the Weasleys excluding Ron as he's working with Harry at the moment," she said softly. "Tonks is also planning on getting you by using the family tie to ask you to meet her."

"Good luck with that," I said firmly as I got to my feet. I wasn't afraid of them. They had no way to reach me especially given my power. "I am going to head to the great hall to grab some food. Would you like to come?"

"No I have a great deal of work to be done and it needs to be done quickly," she gestured to the stack of parchment. I nodded in understanding before exiting her office. I walked through the empty halls of the school towards the great hall. A small smile played at my lips as the tension released. I finally felt that I belonged here. I wasn't scared of what was to come.

I entered the great hall sitting down eating some sweets including chocolate frogs. Once I finished I got to my feet heading for my dorm. I walked down the cool Slytherin hallways pausing before the portrait of Salazar. I grinned at my ancestor.

"Hey Sal," I said as his ever present frown twitched up slightly in amusement at me. "How goes the day?"

"Wonderful Natasha. How about yours? I felt your magic flowing through the school for a few moments earlier today," he said as I nodded.

"Had to help out a few friends but my day hasn't been bad," I said firmly. He nodded at me before swinging open without the password. I walked into the common room to find a present and a note by the tree. I grabbed the package with a gasp. It was from Harry. I opened he box gasping seeing a broken horcrux in the box. He had found one and destroyed a piece of my father. I reached up to my ring spinning it on my finger as the anxiety rushed across my body. Thoughts buzzed in my mind as I looked at the horcrux. Did he find more? How did he manage to destroy it? Was he close? Could Harry come around?