27

Author's Note: Tried to do a double update but it's the very next day! I love yooooou! This chapter is much longer and has a little bit of everything. ❤️

"You Are In Love" - Taylor Swift

You can hear it in the silence
You can feel it on the way home
You can see it with the lights out
You are in love
True love

Nikki's POV

"Marry me." The words came out with an exhale. He bends his forehead down to mine. Our breathing is erratic. We're caught up in our intense feelings for one another. I knew with all of my heart that he meant what he said. I never have to question his intentions. He'd run away with me if I asked...if it all got too much. We would do anything for each other.

"Harry—"

The door suddenly opens and our driver comes in with our luggage. We sheepishly pull away from each other, Harry apologizing for taking awhile. He tips him generously as he always does and thanks him before shutting the door and locking it. A small beep goes off then a feminine robotic voice saying, "Home secured."

I would've laughed at the high tech security system if it weren't for the overwhelming feelings of love and ironically, sense of security, that was coursing through my veins.

Harry's eyes are pooling with tears when he turns around to face me. I could tell his proposal was impromptu; he's incredibly romantic and plans out every detail in a grandiose gesture. He was caught up in the moment, but hearing his thoughts and knowing that he wants me to be his wife, to be his forever...it's the happiest I've ever felt in my life.

I sit on the sofa, my tears flowing down my cheeks freely. He chokes on a sob and I frantically shake my head.

"Come here, monkey." I hold my arms out. He comes over without hesitation, seeking comfort in my arms and hiding his face between my neck and shoulder. "You got caught up in the moment, yeah? Love me so much you wanna put a ring on it? I mean I've got a few already..."

He gives a little laugh. He's still too shy to face me and I'm melting. His sniffles make me squeeze him tighter. Half of me is feeling protective and comforting, while the other half finds his vulnerability incredibly sexy. I appreciate that he gives me all of him.

"I want to marry you. I'm not rejecting you. Is that what you think?" I whisper into his ear.

Harry hums out in a small whine.

"I just...want you—need you—in every way." His voice cracks. "That's not exactly how I planned to do it, though..."

"I know, but the intimacy of it was so special. When you do it for real, I'll appreciate a private proposal like that."

He sits back to look at me with a hardened expression.

"This is real. I want you to be my wife. I want you to be the mother of my children. You're my best friend. What's the difference if I ask you now or later?"

I needed to tread lightly, so he wouldn't take this the wrong way. My answer isn't 'no.' I hold his face in my hands and wait for the hard lines and clenched jaw to soften before I answer him.

"You know how I feel about you, Harry. Yes, I'll marry you. Yes, I'll have your children. Yes to everything, but not right now. We only recently got back together 2 months ago and while I feel it in my bones that this is for the long haul, we shouldn't rush into getting married." I wipe away the tears that fall down his cheeks with my thumbs. "You already have me and I have you. You got us this beautiful home...I'm so in love with you, okay? You're the one for me. You have nothing to prove."