Chapter 2 - Getting Settled

---------- Seven days later ----------

I woke up in a bed surrounded by boxes. I rub my face and flinch at the light coming in through the window. I rise out of bed and sit on the edge. I hadn't fully unpacked yet because I was too lazy to the other days. The moving truck came two days ago, but I was having so much fun with my laptop and new Wi-Fi that I didn't want to do the work. I look around at all of the boxes surrounding my bed and some are stacked two boxes high.

"I have to fix this today." One of the boxes shifts as I get out of bed and it falls to the ground. I flinch at the noise. "Never mind, I need to fix this right now." I change out of my pjs and start unpacking. I grab my phone off of the nightstand that's completely empty and put my music on shuffle. I dance around the room to the sounds of ELO, Billy Joel, the Beatles, Three Dog Night, and David Bowie. I set up all of my furniture in the right position as well as my TV which had been sitting on the floor unplugged before I sat down and built a TV stand/shelf/storage unit. After 6 hours of unpacking, I realized I hadn't eaten anything today.

"Wow." I look down at my watch. "It's 3. Time to eat." I grab some food at a Subway not too far away and I keep working on unpacking. I finish my kitchen, bathroom, and even my bedroom with some posters of movies that I loved along with some photographs I had taken over the years. Then I got to my music room. A room that I had been waiting to have for years. I unpacked all of my instruments; my guitar, bass, keyboard, clarinet, violin, and drum carpet. I hadn't brought my drums with me from Chicago because I knew it would be too much of a hassle to pack them. I gave them to an old band member who was very appreciative of them.

I play a lot of instruments. I started playing clarinet in the fourth grade because I wanted to be cool like Squidward. The show had premiered when I was 8 and I thought it was the funniest show on TV. I ended up quitting when I was a freshman in high school, but it made me realize how much I loved playing instruments and learning them. I then went on to learn guitar, and then all the instruments followed soon after. I am a YouTuber and I make covers of songs. I try to make them as close to the original as possible and try to be respectful of the songs themselves. I started it as a hobby to use my instruments and practice on them more, but it turned out to earn me some money. Along with my freelance graphic design work I had been doing, I had saved up enough money to move to LA. It's not that I wanted to write my own songs, or make it big in the music business, but there were so many theatres in LA that were willing to host my concerts for my fans that it just made more sense to just move here.

With almost 1 million subscribers, I was okay to live on my own in this new city. I knew one person who lived out here already, but I hadn't seen them yet and I made a mental note to give him a call.

I took out a lot of foam padding I had bought to line the walls to make the sound better, and I taped them to the walls. I left one wall empty and I taped up all of my classic rock posters including small pictures I had printed out before I had left home in order to fill every empty space on the wall. Small pictures of every band I loved. Every band I was listening to while unpacking but also Queen, Guess Who, Pink Floyd, and a bunch of musicals that I love. The room was completed when I added in a desk with my desktop computer and microphone. I looked at my work with pride and I looked at the clock I had just put up on the wall. 1 AM. Time for bed.