Chapter 14 - Hooking Him In

Friday morning, I woke up to a text message on my phone. I looked at the time. 9:35. It was probably time for me to get up anyway. I sat up on my bed and grabbed my phone. It was a text from Joe.

Can't wait for tonight beautiful <3

It was cheesy, but it still worked on me. I text him back the kissing face emoji and decided to get up for real. I walked into my kitchen and started making myself some breakfast. As I slowly woke up and ate my breakfast, I became fully aware of what day it was. Today was the day.I took a deep breath and looked around my apartment. It wasn't messy, but it could use some cleaning.

The rest of the day, I got ready for the date. I cleaned every room to make sure it was spotless. I made sure everything was perfect. I decided to get ready very early. I wanted to pick out the perfect outfit. I wanted something sexy to wear, but I was not the type of person to wear that kind of thing. As self-conscious as I am, I had always chosen comfort over fashion. I pulled at the clothes in my closet, going through each one until I landed on a dress that I hadn't seen in years. One that I remembered packing because I was in a rush to finish up. I was a beige, mid-length dress made out of a light material. The dress was very low cut with ruffles around the neckline, accentuating my chest even more. The brown wide belt cinched my waist to give me even more curves than I had before. The belt was tight, but not so much that I couldn't breathe.

I looked at myself in the mirror and I felt a wave of confidence. For once, I liked the way I looked. It was how I felt right before I would go on stage to perform for my fans. But, whenever I did that, I always ended up wearing 'rockstar clothes'. Leather jackets, t-shirts with bands on them that I loved, tight jeans, and boots. I also did dark makeup around my eyes and I sometimes didn't wear my glasses. It was a way of separating myself from the person who was on the stage. It allowed me to get rid of my stage fright.

I went into the bathroom and I put on some eyeliner and mascara. I debated putting on more so than I looked even hotter, but I thought about what we might be doing later and I decided against it. Once I had gotten myself completely ready, I got a phone call from Joe. It was about an hour before our date.

"Hello?" I said answering the phone.

"Hey, Jule. I just wanted to warn you that I'm taking you somewhere as a surprise. It's not just gonna be dinner tonight, so I don't know how you want to dress. I just thought I should warn you." I looked down at my clothes and started to feel a little self-conscious again.

"Can you give me an idea? Like if I wore a dress, would that be okay?" I tried to act as calm as possible and not let him know that I was fully dressed.

"Yeah, that's perfectly fine. I just wanted to warn you in case you were going to wear something...extravagant." I could hear him smiling on the other end. I chuckled.

"No, nothing extravagant. I'm not a debutant after all." There was a small pause. "I'll see you in an hour okay?" I smiled.

"Yeah, see you then." We hung up the phone. Joe seemed a little off. I had just hoped that our date would cheer him up a little bit.

I thought about what I would do for the next hour. I couldn't think of anything that needed to be done around the house, and I was fully dressed. I decided to sit down and finally watch another episode of The Pacific. We were far enough along in our relationship that I could watch his acting jobs and talk to him about them and I wouldn't seem that weird.

After watching episode 2 (which he wasn't in that much again), I brushed myself off and made some final adjustments to my look. Then, the buzzer sounded. I pressed the button and let Joe in. My heart started pounding, I couldn't wait for him to see me in this dress. I wanted to see the look on his face and I was so excited. I waited by the door with my hand on the knob; waiting for his knock. I sat there and imagined him walking down the hallway to my door and tried to time the knock. When he did knock, I waited a few seconds, took a deep breath in, and opened the door.