Chapter 25 - The Day Before

The next two days in Vegas were a dream. We rode roller coasters and ate so much food. We even went on a zip line across old Vegas and our adrenaline was pumping from it. Overall, the trip was fun and exciting, but exhausting. I couldn't wait to get home to my own bed and just sleep for a couple of days.

We ended up leaving Vegas very late in the day. We were supposed to leave at around 2 pm to get back home at a reasonable time, but we ended up leaving at about 10. There were so many things we missed and sights we still wanted to see that we kept pushing the time forward and forward. We didn't have anywhere to stay that night, so we pretty much were forced to start the drive back home. We were both extremely tired, and I offered to drive the first half. Mainly because I knew I wasn't going to make it past midnight, and if Joe could get some sleep, then he could drive the rest of the way.

Joe agreed and tried to get some sleep in the passenger seat. He pushed the chair back and laid down, arms folded and eyes closed. I turned on the radio quietly to have something to distract me from the mind-numbing two hours I would have ahead of me. I found an oldies station and started listening to it. I was humming along quietly to the songs as I could hear Joe's breathing slowing down as he slowly drifted off to sleep.

After about an hour of humming and driving, a song came on the radio called The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by Joan Baez. I loved the song and I started to softly sing along to it, trying my hardest not to wake Joe. I made a mental note to cover this song for my channel. This was how I got most of my song ideas.

"Sing it, babe." I heard softly next to me. His arms reached up and lightly rubbed my arm. I began singing a little louder. It was a pretty soft rock song and it made the mood calm and wonderful. Once the song ended, Joe shifted in his seat and sat up a bit more. The next song that came on was Bridge Over Troubled Water. I started singing it an octave higher than normal. It was pretty high, but it was the only way I could sing the song, I didn't have a deep voice for it.

I was singing it to Joe. I wanted him to know that I was there for him. That I loved him. It was like a thank you for an amazing vacation. I would have never formed such beautiful words to thank him and show him how much I cared as this song did. The melody seemed to lift over the car and it was like we were the only two people in the world. Joe slowly drifted back to sleep to the sound of my voice.

Eventually, we switched and he drove the rest of the way home. Like I thought, I was out like a light as soon as I laid my head down. When I woke up, almost two hours later, we were in front of a house and not my apartment. It took me a while to realize where we were.

"Do you want to stay at my place tonight?" Joe asked, shaking my arm to wake me up.

"Mm-hmm." I hummed through my tired state. Joe got out of the car and came around to my side to help me out. As he opened the door, I laid my head on my shoulder, closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep again.

"No, no," He said, shaking me again. I woke up with a jolt. I gave him a weak smile.

"Sorry," I whispered.

"It's okay, come on." He grabbed my hand and helped me out of the car. He let go of me and grabbed our bags out of the trunk and we walked up to his front door. Once Joe found the keys after fishing them out of his pocket, we walked inside and I walked the familiar path up to his bedroom. I didn't want to change clothes; I was too tired. "Hold on," He said as I almost plopped down onto the bed. He threw off his hoodie and baseball cap and walked around to the other side of the bed. He laid down and got himself comfortable. "Ok, come on. I know you're tired."

I threw the blanket off the bed as I cuddled up to Joe, his warmth making it even harder to not fall asleep on impact. After I got the blankets over me, I rested my head on his chest and he started playing with my hair to lull me back into my sleep. I fell asleep almost immediately after.