Chapter 37 - A Day Out

Note: I mention a song later in the chapter, so that's it at the top of the page. You don't NEED to listen to it, but it is a nice song that sets the mood for the end of the chapter. Just a suggestion. :) (Plus, the intention of the movie with this song is a little different than what I wanted to convey, so the song, not the plot, is the part to pay attention to, FYI.)

Joe went to set every day for the rest of that week. When Saturday came around, he was given his first day off. He got one day off, and then they would finish the Live Aid scenes in three days, and then he would have a couple more days off. I was simply focused on making his first day off as relaxing as possible. When we woke up Saturday morning, neither of us had set an alarm, but we still woke up at about 8.

"Good morning, Joey," I said to him as I played with his curls.

"Morning. What are we going to do today?" He asked me. His voice was still hoarse from just waking up.

"Well, we can do whatever you want to do." He brought his arm around my shoulders as I adjusted myself closer to him.

"Let's see," He said. He thought about it for a little while and then looked back at me. "You haven't walked around London yet, have you?" I shook my head. "Well then, I'm going to take you to a couple places." I smiled at him and gave him a quick kiss on the lips.

"Sounds good. But, are you sure that's what you want to do on your day off?" I didn't want him to feel pressured in any way.

"Yes, of course. I just want to have a nice day with you. I missed those." I smiled at him before giving him a quick pat on the chest to signal that I was going to get ready. About an hour later, we were ready to go. I grabbed my purse and my camera, ready to conquer this fantastic city. We climbed into the rental car, and I was still very uncomfortable sitting in the front. Everything was backwards to me. And it still freaked me out a little bit.

Joe drove us to downtown London. We parked in some garage for the day and we walked down to the street. Joe had ideas of where to take me, but I had no idea what those were. He led us into a nice park. We walked on a cobblestone path next to a small lake and we watched the ducks splash around in the water. It was peaceful and private. There were a couple older people and couples sitting on the benches as we walked past them, but this park still felt very private. I liked that.

Joe walked us until the cobblestone path ended. We came upon a road that was moderately busy with cars. Joe stopped at the edge of the sidewalk and looked both ways down the street.

"Now which way?" he muttered to himself.

"Lost?" I asked him.

"Ah! Nope, not anymore." He got a big smile on his face as he dragged me along behind him. We walked for a little while until we came upon an intersection. He stopped me before we crossed the road. "We're here," he smiled. I looked around. I just saw trees lining the streets and apartment buildings. Nothing special.

"We're here?" I asked. He just stared at me.

"Think," he replied. I did. I hadn't thought before I spoke. We were at an intersection...in London...surrounded by trees lining the streets. We were at Abbey Road. It wasn't long before this thought clicked into my head and I turned to look at the half stone wall in front of a building kitty-corner to us. It has a big sign that said 'Abbey Road'. People had signed it and written all over it, but it was there and I knew, for sure, where we were. My mouth dropped open and my hand rose up to cover it. "There you go," he said with a smile. Happy that I had finally put two and two together.

"I haven't been here in years!" I said. I turned to look. There was a group of teenagers walking up to the crosswalk. They looked like they knew what it was and they were going to take pictures on it. We crossed the street and came face to face with the crosswalk. My eyes never left it causing me to almost trip over Joe in the process. "I think I was 16 the last time I was here. That was so long ago," I said, still entranced by the black and white pattern on the ground. Although I knew that the road had been reconstructed since the Beatles walked on it, it was still such an important spot in music. Just being in its presence was mind-boggling. Joe wrapped his arm around my shoulder.