Chapter 51 - Home For Christmas Part 2

The next day was Christmas Eve. I woke up to an empty bed and Joe's side was cold meaning he had been gone a while. I wrapped myself up even more in the blanket and looked out the window, slowly waking up. I saw a gray sky with small amounts of snow falling from it. I got up and got myself ready for the day. Throwing on a sweater and some leggings. I walked into the bathroom, brushing my hair and teeth, and then going downstairs to greet everyone.

Joe was in the kitchen helping his mother make some food. They were making a Christmas ham, potatoes, pasta, salads, and all sorts of other foods. It all smelled so delicious. I walked further into the kitchen with a big smile on my face.

"Smells lovely," I commented.

"Morning," Joe said with a sigh and a smile. He walked over and kissed me on the cheek. I put my hand on his arm as he did. "Merry Christmas," I whispered.

"Merry Christmas," he answered. He quickly went back to the stove, helping Virginia add some garnish to a dish before it went in the oven.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" I asked. Ready to be the domestic, doting girlfriend whom Joe's family would hopefully fall in love with.

"Yes, actually," Virginia said. "There are some ingredients over there. They're ready to go in that bowl. Just add them in and stir it until they're all mixed," she instructed.

"Can do," I said in a chipper tone. I moved over to the bowl, adding in what looked to be eggs, flour, sugar, milk, and cream into a bowl. Probably getting ready to make some sort of cake or dessert. I poured them in one by one as I heard Virginia instructing Joe about how to place the garnish correctly. I grabbed a plastic spoon and started to mix everything together until it became one slightly yellow color. I put the spoon down after tapping it on the side of the bowl a couple of times. Once the two of them were finished, Joe's mom put the dish in the oven and set a timer, placing it on the counter for everyone to see and hear.

"Now, your brother and sister should be here at about 3," Virginia said to Joe. "And the nephews are coming, so we need as much food as possible," she said. I could tell she wanted to please everyone. Making a big meal for the whole family to eat was such an intimate thing and she seemed to be doing it with practiced ease. She walked over to Joe and placed a hand on his cheek. "But, we can take a little break now. Wait until that dish is done and then put the next one in," She turned toward me and smiled. "Thanks for your help dear," she smiled. She left the kitchen and sat down in the living room.

"Why didn't you wake me?" I asked Joe in a quiet tone.

"I wanted to let you sleep. You looked so tired yesterday," He walked closer to me. "I wanted you to get your beauty sleep. You needed it," he couldn't keep a straight face as he talked. I scoffed at him and hit his arm. He chuckled as he wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me flush against him. "Come on, you know I'm kidding," he placed a small kiss on my lips. "You're always a beauty." He kissed me again.

"Okay, I'll let you off just this once." I squinted at him. He chuckled at my joke.

"Thank you for helping," he said, his tone a bit more serious.

"I like helping," I replied. He let go of me and glanced into the living room. I looked too. His dad sitting in the same chair as before and his mom sitting on the couch. Watching some Christmas movie that I hadn't seen before.

"Want to join them for a while?" he asked. I nodded. Joe grabbed my hand as we walked into the living room. I stopped before sitting down and moved over to Joe's dad. I grabbed his hand, patting it a couple of times and kneeling down in front of him.

"Good morning," I said. "Merry Christmas." I gave him a big smile, which he returned. I walked back over to Joe, plopping down on the couch next to him. We watched the movie for a while. Going back and forth between the kitchen and the living room to put more dishes in the oven to cook. When 3 pm rolled around, Joe's siblings walked through the doors. Their significant others and children with them. Joe's face lit up when he saw his nephews. The little boys ran to him and hugged him Jumping up and climbing all over him.