Chapter 28 - The Halfway Point

The next three weeks were difficult. I was getting used to living alone without anyone sleeping over again, I was extremely busy with work, and Joe didn't have much time to call me, except in the early hours of the morning. He would end up calling me at about 6-8 AM my time. Seeing as I liked my sleep, it was a bit of a different feeling. I would wake up to the sound of my ringer and pick it up, sleep still in my eyes and my hair a complete mess. But, I think Joe wanted to see me like that. I think he missed waking up to me in the morning.

He would apologize for waking me up and tell me stories about the day he had. He would say that he was having so much fun and that working on John Deacon is an amazing thrill. Most of the time, I didn't remember what he had said when the call ended. I was just so tired and my brain hadn't woken up yet. About a week and a half after he left, I started adjusting my sleeping schedule. I began slowly adjusting myself to the London time zone. It didn't matter to me when I worked, as long as I got it done. Joe began to notice this about two weeks after he left. I answered the phone when I was sitting on my couch. I wasn't fully adjusted yet, but I was better than before.

"You're up? And dressed?" He asked.

"Yeah, surprised?" I asked.

"Very," He replied with wide eyes. He started telling me about his day and how amazing his castmates were. "They really wanna meet you." He said.

"I'm sure you haven't made their expectations too high," I replied sarcastically.

"I'm your personal hype man. I've got to build you up." He started jumping around the room like a hype man. I laughed. "So, how are things there?" He asked sitting on the bed.

"Busy," I replied. "Not as busy as you, but still packed." I smiled. I relaxed in the chair.

"How many videos have you done?" He asked. He knew that I needed to get at least 20 videos prepared before I left.

"About 10, I guess. I'm on schedule, but it's starting to take a toll on me. My hand hurts like crazy and I can feel my voice starting to give out." My throat was scratchy and it didn't help with singing.

"Sorry about that." He replied.

"How about you? How's the bass playing?" He laid down onto the headboard of the bed. He was staying in a hotel. The apartment we would be staying in wouldn't be available until the day I showed up. So, the hotel room was the best they could do for the first 6 weeks.

"It's going well. I'm learning what songs I'm going to be playing in the movie. Some of them I had already practiced, but some are new. My fingers hurt too." He chuckled. I brushed a piece of my hair behind my ear with my right hand. "Hey, you still have the ring." He pointed out.

"Of course," I laughed. "I wasn't lying when I said I loved it."

"Good," He said with a smile. We talked for a little longer until Joe needed to go to sleep. His days were long and he was getting back to the hotel very late at night. His days just consisted of playing the bass, trying on costumes, practicing his accent and dances moves, and then coming home and talking to me. There wasn't much variation in our lives right now. It kind of made our conversations stale and uninspired. We still liked talking to each other. It made each of us happy. But soon, the conversations got a bit more interesting.

A couple days later, after Joe realized that I was switching my sleep schedule to be aligned with his, he called me from work. I answered the call and he was in a recording studio. He seemed to be sitting on some drum risers with a drum kit right next to him. We were talking as he was explaining that he couldn't show me around the studio much. They were in Abbey Road Studios and I was extremely jealous. The historic studio was something that only exclusive people could enter. He would send me some photos that he took secretly, but I wasn't allowed to see everything he did.