Chapter 7 - The...Dinner Party?

---------- Two Weeks Later ----------

Two weeks went by at the pace of a snail. I ended up going home for Thanksgiving to spend it with my family. I have a small family so Thanksgiving is not a huge thing, but it was the gesture that I made an effort to come home to see my family. When I got back, I made a couple more covers for my channel so I had a backlog for a while. I could even take a break from editing the videos when I wanted to. As I said, it went by slow. When I moved to LA, I thought every day would be exciting, but it just ended up being like home. Which in many ways, I liked.

The day of the party rolled around. I didn't need to prepare myself as much this time because I had one mission; confront Joe. Whatever happened at the party after that was none of my concern, I just needed to talk to him. I went to my closet about an hour and a half before I was supposed to be there and chose a blue floral print dress. It was mid-length and had short sleeves. I put on some slip-on black shoes and did some minimal makeup. I debated going for a party look but opted out because if Joe were to see me without makeup, I wouldn't want him to be surprised by what I really look like. Not that I think I look a lot different, but you never know what other people think. As I was about to leave a thought popped into my head, He had my number, but he didn't text or call. Was that something I should worry about? I chalked that up to the fact that he didn't know me very well and didn't want to seem awkward saying something first.

I grabbed everything I needed and got into my car. I didn't play my cd this time. Instead, I listened to the radio. Christmas songs were beginning to play as it was now after Thanksgiving. But, the holiday was super early this year leaving practically a full week of November before December rolled around. I was still getting used to the fact that there were palm trees and sun instead of snow and cold weather. It was a change I needed to get used to quickly I guess. No better time to adjust than the present.

As I pulled into Gio's street, there weren't as many cars as last time. I guess I had forgotten to ask how many people were coming to the party this time. I only saw about half as many cars. I parked and locked the car behind me as I once again made the trek up to Gio's apartment. I brought a bottle of wine with me this time as an offering to Gio. I guess it was to thank him for holding a party that I didn't hate. I knocked on his door with my free hand. Gio opened the door and once again excitedly hugged me. The wine was awkwardly crushed between us until he let go. I stuck my hands out to offer the wine.

"Oh, you didn't need to do that." He swatted his hands at the wine. "But, ok, I accept." He then took the wine and pretended like he was winning an Oscar. "Thank you, Thank you, ladies and Gentleman. I'm so surprised." As I walked past him, I hit him on the shoulder, jokingly telling him to stop. He called after me, "What? Do you think it needs some work?" I surveyed the room as I made my way to the kitchen once again. There were only about half as many people at this party; only 6-7 people. I stood and counted everyone that was there in my head very quickly. There were seven including Gio and myself. I started to think about how this party might be very personal with these many people. But, if I did have to mingle with everyone, then at least I knew half of the people. I saw Joe sitting with the only group of people at Gio's table just off the kitchen. There were place settings set up at just enough seats for all of us. Gio walked into the kitchen a couple steps behind me and I saw that he opened his mouth to speak. I grabbed his arm and pulled him into the living room, as far away from the table as I could.

"Is this a dinner party?" I ask. I was calm, I just hated all of these new surprises that keep happening. Plus, it didn't go with my plan. My original plan was that I was going to walk up to Joe, get him away from whatever group he was talking to, and quietly yell, 'You were the little boy in Jurassic Park?' But, it looked like I couldn't do that now.