Chapter 43 - Rockfield Farm

2 months later

Joe had brought me to set again. This time, they were filming a scene in a recording studio at a place that resembled Rockfield Farm, where Queen had recorded A Night at the Opera. They split the filming between two buildings. One was for the 'housing' of the band and the other was the recording studio. The recording studio was unlike anything I had seen before. While there was still a separation between the booth and the studio, off to the side was a kitchen and a barn door to let people in and out. It was still very warm and welcoming for such a strange set-up.

It took about an hour and a half to drive to and from set, but the drive was always lovely. We would pass green pastures and fields. It reminded me of my road trips back home in Chicago. Driving from one state to another meant a lot of time in the farmland of the Midwest. So, I was used to all the flatness. Sometimes, we would even pass a farm with animals. I would always point them out to Joe who would happily look over at them and smile with me. The pure joy of seeing some cute animals in the early morning.

Joe always drove and I was the DJ. I would play either classic rock or some newer song that I liked off my phone. I always loved playing a new classic rock song that I found for Joe because he either had never heard it before either or he had and loved it. He would sing along quietly while I would belt the lyrics and dance in my seat, trying to wake myself up and give myself some energy to start off the day with. One time, I played "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys and Joe went crazy. He started wiggling in his seat and had a huge smile flash on his face. He belted every lyric and even danced a little to the music. I loved seeing him like that. Joe loved driving to set those days because it felt like a mini road trip and I knew how much he loved those. We had been going to set for a while now, about 2 weeks, to finish all of the Rockfield Farm scenes. Today was the last day, but I still couldn't forget my first day.

----------

            When we got to set, there were crew members hustling about everywhere. We parked a little ways away and walked up to the buildings hand in hand. But, just like every time, once we were past the gate, his hand left mine and he was walking ahead of me. Like a little kid at an amusement park. He was walking around trying to find out where to go. Bopping and darting between buildings. I waited in the dirt-laden in-between hoping he would give me a signal to follow him. He entered a building quickly and then backed out slowly, his mouth falling open a bit.

"Babe," he whispered. "Babe," he said louder motioning his hand for me to come to him. His eyes never leaving the interior of the building. I jogged over to him. My eyes didn't adjust from the sun to see what was in the building.

"What?" I laughed.

"Look," he whispered. I looked and I couldn't really see anything. My eyes weren't adjusting. My lack of response told Joe that. He chuckled. "Go in, go in," he said pushing my lower back closer to the door. I walked in and saw the recording studio. It was bathed in a glow of yellow/orange light. Both from some artificial lights that were being set up and the lights from the chandeliers on the ceiling.

"Wow," I whispered to myself. Joe had followed me in and was now standing right behind me. He put his hand on the small of my back telling me he was there. There were no cameras in the room, so that meant that they weren't filming in there that day. I let out a puff of air and shook my head. "It's...real," I said. "Like, I know it was a real place, but...wow," I heard Joe chuckle softly behind me. I examined the rest of the room until my eyes landed on the white piano. I gasped softly. "The piano," I whispered again. I felt myself unconsciously start to take a step toward it and reach for it. But, I stopped myself before I even took a full step. It called to me as the Live Aid set did, but I wasn't falling for that again. Joe picked up on what was happening.