Fight Night - Jachary

ZACH'S POV

"Again?" I hiss as Jack stumbles through the front door. Another Friday night, another fight Jack has come home from, bloody and broken. "I thought you were going to stop!"

"I did!" Jack sobs as he falls to his knees, blood dripping down his head, his swollen eye turning purple. "But someone pulled me into their car and forced me there! I said I was going home, and they just...they took me..." Jack looks up at me. "I'm so sorry baby. I just..." He trails off and starts sobbing again.

I sigh. "Jack, you have to stop this. It's not good for you, or for us." I drag him upstairs and clean his cuts and bruises, kissing each one.

"I don't deserve you," he whispers. "I don't deserve this."

"Did you fight back?" I ask, not sure if I wanted to know the answer. Did I want him to fight? No. Did I want him to defend himself? Of course.

"No, I wouldn't. I just kept thinking of you, and the promise I made. And I couldn't do it. So I just sat there and took it all."

"Like a champ," I add, causing Jack to crack a smile. "Thank you for not breaking our promise."

"How could I ever," Jack says, "when that promise was made to someone like you?"

I smile and kiss his already-swollen and blistering lips.

"I love you."

"I love you too, my fighter."

Jack shakes his head. "The only thing I'll ever fight for now," he says, leaning in once more, "is you."

~