Rose Petals - Jachary

ZACH'S POV

"To start your hunt you must begin
In the place where you first leaned in."

I smile at the first clue from Jack, a clue that he promised would lead to something spectacular. By the words 'where you first leaned in', I'm guessing he means the place where we had our first kiss.

When I get up to our (now shared) bedroom, there's another card on the bed, surrounded by rose petals.

"Now that we've had our fun,
Go to the place where we were almost done."

Coming out as a gay couple in a band together didn't exactly go well for Jack and I. A week after we'd announced that we were dating, the backlash from people on our Instagrams was unbelievable. It got to be so bad that Jack and I didn't know if we would last. We were on edge, snippy even, with each other, and we'd had a pretty bad fight in the park one night. But we stuck together, and that was the most important bit.

So now, approaching the park bench where we were sitting the night of that fight, the one that could've ended everything, I'm smiling looking back on all the good times Jack and I had. The time he held my hand getting a tattoo, or when he'd sing to me after horrible days. He was always there for me, and I thank God for that every breath I take.

The third card, surrounded by more rose petals, read:

"This last clue means the adventure is almost finished,
Go to the place where you couldn't read English."

This one put my mind in a fog for a minute. Then I remember, laughing at my stupidity over the "zombly acopalypse." I run back to my car and drive to the studio where we shot "Tower of Truth" with PopBuzz.

"What the...?" I mutter to myself, killing the engine and walking along a path of rose petals, leading to the door that had a gold J intertwined with a silver Z on it. I push the door open to reveal the boys, all in their suits, which surprisingly still fit from the Invitation music video, singing softly.

"Zach?" Jack, also in his suit, says. "May I have this dance?"

I laugh, grabbing his hand and dancing slowly to Daniel, Jonah, and Corbyn's voices singing Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley - our song. As Jack spins me out one more time, he drops onto a knee and I spin into his lap, finishing in a pose worthy of being on Dancing With The Stars.

I laugh and go to stand, but Jack keeps his hand firm on my hip. "Zach," he says seriously, "I need to ask you something really important."

I notice Corbyn out of the corner of my eye start to take a video. Daniel grabs a bowl full of rose petals, and Jonah has a sign hidden behind his back so I can't read what it says. I nod, keeping my attention on the love of my life, my heart racing. "Go ahead, baby."

"Zach," Jack begins, "for as long as I've known you, you've been a ray of sunshine in everyone's lives. I wanted that ray of sunshine to be forever present, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. And so I asked you to be mine. You said yes and it was the best day of my life. And now I'm asking you to say yes once more." He pulls out a tiny box, and I gasp.

"I love you more than anything in this world," Jack continues. "more than the band-"

"Wow," Corbyn says. "I feel so loved right now."

Jack keeps going. "More than life itself-"

"Damn," Daniel says. "That was deep."

"Can I please finish?" Jack says, annoyed. Corbyn and Daniel giggle and fist bump as Jonah throws them a look that says I'm ready to kill you if you screw this up again, so try me you won't.

Jack sighs, putting his beautiful chocolate brown eyes back on me. "And more than anything in the whole wide universe."

Corbyn and Daniel both open their mouths to interject again. "But-"

"Would you two please shut the hell up?" Jonah says. "I'm trying to watch these two get engaged here!" Then, realizing what he'd said, he blushed madly and whispered an apology to Jack.

"Jack...?" I say, tears beginning to glisten in my eyes.

"Well, I guess the secret's out, so let's cut to the chase," he chuckles. "Zach, I love you so much, and I never want to let go of you. You are smart, hilarious, adorable, and so much more. But best of all, you're mine. And I want to be able to call you that forever. So," he says, opening the little black box to reveal a silver wedding band, "Zachary Dean Herron, will you marry me?"

I stare at him in shock, half expecting the boys to start humming the Jeopardy! song when contestants are taking a long time to answer.

"Yes," I whisper out. "Yes, yes, of course yes!" He slides the ring onto my finger, and crashes his lips onto mine.

"To the future Mr. and Mr. Avery!" Jonah yells, revealing the sign that says Congrats, Jachary!! Took ya long enough!!! while Daniel throws the rose petals all over the place.

"Mr. Zach Avery," I hum next to Jack's ear. "I could get used to that."

"Me too," he whispers back. "I love you."

"I love you more than I could ever begin to explain."

~