Tell Me Lies - Zaniel

DANIEL'S POV

"But you don't understand!" I yell to him as he slams a door. "I fucking love you! And this isn't love, and you know that! You should know that! I hate myself for coming back to you, and yet here I am every single damn time!"

I sink down onto the couch, holding my head as broken sobs fall past my lips. I find myself in the same situation I'm in every time we end up here, fighting like this - broken and sad.

Zach and I have been together for almost six years now. The first three years were wonderful, completely blissful. They were as near to perfect as you can get. And then something happened. He still won't tell me what, but things haven't been the same.

The changes started small, with him not enjoying things he used to like doing. And now we fight almost every day, to the point were he's picking a fight and I fall for it, screaming that I'm right and he hides away until he's blocked it out. He comes down the stairs like nothing ever happened and tells me how beautiful I am, and how lucky he is to have me.

Go ahead and tell me lies. I know they arent true, that's it's just the devil in you coming out, but I'll still believe you every time you tell me I'm beautiful. Every time you say how lucky you are to have me. Every time you say you love me. I know they're lies. But tell me them anyway - I'll believe them.

"Daniel?" Zach calls, coming down the stairs. Like nothing ever happened.

"What?" I snap, the T cutting through my voice.

"I just wanted to tell you that I love you," he says, trying to kiss me. I back away from him, holding my hands in front of me. "Don't," I say.

His eyebrows furrow. "What's wrong darling?"

"Everything!" I yell at him. Zach steps back as though I'd slapped him across the face. "You! This! Us! All of it!"

"What do you mean?"

"Look Zach, I don't know what happened to the man I used to love, but this isn't him," I say, reaching for the door. "And if you can find him, I would love to talk to the Zach I used to know. My Zach."

"Daniel, I-" Zach's face looks genuinely pained.

"I'm going to walk out this door, and you aren't going to follow me," I say slowly, choking back tears. "I'm not going to call you, and you aren't going to call me. I'm going to pretend I never met you. We are going to go our separate ways. If I find you again in the future, great. If not-" I give him one last kiss before I walk away from this, these last six years, for possibly the rest of my life - "then I guess it wasn't written in the stars." I swallow, wanting him to know one more thing before I go. "But Zachary Dean Herron, God and Heaven above help me - I hope you know how much I love you. It's the kind of love that can never be erased, I promise you that."

And with that, I walk away.

I just hope someday he realizes how bad he fucked up for hurting me so many times.

I just hope that someday he doesn't feel the need to tell me lies anymore.

I hope someday I see him again. I hope he tells me what the hell happened here, and I hope he tries his damn best to fix it.

I miss him already.

Go ahead and tell me lies...

~