Gone But Never Forgotten Pt. 2 - Dorbyn

It had been four months. The longest four months of Daniel Seavey's afterlife. Four months without his love, who was still alive on earth.

You see, if Daniel were alive, this would be his and Corbyn's first Christmas as an engaged - soon to be married - couple. And Daniel missed Corbyn more than anything.

"Please," he begs God, "let me spend Christmas on earth, with him. I'll do anything."

God, the wise man He was, consents, for He had a bigger plan for Daniel and Corbyn. He grants Daniel the wish to return to his spirit state, mostly only ever used for the 24 hours after death, a last look at a person's life on earth before disappearing forever. Or so people thought.

Daniel touches down on earth, sighing happily. Inside the house, he sees that Corbyn kept everything exactly the same as before, smiling and singing carols to himself while decorating the tree, as there was only a week before Christmas. He steps inside, knowing he shouldn't be able to feel warmth, the heat of the fire, or the cool metal of the doorknob. And yet, he can. The door creaks and Corbyn turns slightly, not paying any attention as to what was happening around him. Not being able to see Daniel, he shrugs and turns back to the tree.

Daniel watches as he put some ornaments on, stopping at a particular one. He gets up off his spot on the sofa, peering over Corbyn's shoulder as he stares at the ornament on his hands.

It was a small round sphere, a picture of the two of them inside. Like a snow globe, when you shook it slightly, small specks of snow inside the ornament flew gracefully around, trapping Corbyn and Daniel in their own winter wonderland. Corbyn remembered Daniel giving that to him the Christmas before.

"I promise," Daniel had said, "that no matter what, I will never leave you alone." That was the first night Corbyn had told the brunette he loved him.

Daniel, noticing the tears on the blonde boy's cheeks, brushes them away gently and whispers, "I'm sorry. I left you, and I'm so sorry."

Corbyn, reaching up to touch his cheek where he felt feather-light touches dry his tears, whispers, "Oh Dani. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I failed to keep you alive." He breaks down in tears and Daniel, no longer caring about keeping his distance as to not confuse the poor boy, holds him close.

"I love you," he whispers, his own tears falling fast.

And before he could stop it, before he could catch himself, a tear rolls down his check and splatters onto Corbyn's arm. Corbyn, checking for a leak in the ceiling and seeing none, was more confused than ever, seeing as the water - salt water at that, he thought, and a very little amount - had appeared out of nowhere.

Now, Daniel knew his boundaries, knew the lines, knew he shouldn't be doing this, but he did, and he didn't care. He grabs a pen out of his pocket and, taking Corbyn's arm gently, ignoring the startled gasps of the blonde, writes, I'm right here. -Dani

Corbyn, tired as he was, and upset too, couldn't - wouldn't - believe what he was seeing. But when ink just spills out onto your arm and writes a message from your old love, you can't ignore it.

"If you're really here," Corbyn wonders aloud, becoming increasingly upset, "why can't I see you?"

Before Daniel could answer him, he felt as though he was being flushed down a drain and twisted about. He found himself back in heaven, standing before God.

"Do you have any idea what you've done?" His voice booms.

Daniel could only sob. It hurt him to be away from Corbyn. It hurt to be right next to him, knowing Corbyn couldn't see him. It hurt to watch him from heaven. It hurt to see Corbyn cry over Daniel every night. God, compassionate man that He was, could see all of this. And He made a very important decision right then and there - a choice He'd been sitting on for four months.

"Daniel James Seavey," He says, "please stand and accept your fate."

Daniel complies, sure that his fate was going to be banishment to hell, or worse, never being able to see Corbyn again, from heaven or elsewhere. But what came out of the Lord's mouth was nothing he ever expected.

"I assign you the post of Corbyn Matthew Besson's guardian angel," He speaks, much to Daniel's surprise. "You will remain with him on earth in a glorified spirit state, which means he will be able to see you, to talk to you. You'll be able to be there for him through rest of his days. You, too, will be able to live as though nothing has ever happened. But keep in mind that it has. You're not there to live a second-chance life, as though you never died. You're there to protect him, to keep him in line, so that one day we will be able to welcome him home with open arms. Do you accept your fate?"

Daniel gapes at God, wondering what he did to deserve this. A guardian angel was the highest honor you could get in heaven. "Yes. I accept."

God smiles warmly. "Very well. Your wings," He says, waving his hand to give Daniel a beautiful pair of guardian angel wings, "and your transportation home."

Daniel found himself standing back in front of Corbyn. Corbyn gasps. "Dani?"

"Hi baby," Daniel whispers, crying. He hugs Corbyn, and Corbyn, not knowing what to do, hugs him back.

"But...you died..." he says, choking on his own tears.

Daniel explains everything to him, from being there the day of his funeral, to watching him from heaven, to coming home today and getting his guardian angel wings. Corbyn, awed, sat thought it all.

"So, you're here to stay?"

"Always."

And although Corbyn couldn't tell anyone else about Daniel, as they'd think he was insane, he kept his guardian angel close, knowing he was always there.

~