Power Outage - Jarbyn

CORBYN'S POV

"Jack!" I yell. "You're going to miss it!"

Jack comes running into the room and flops over the back of the couch, spilling some popcorn on the way as he hands the bowl to me. Both of us have our attention completely focused on the TV in front of us.

"This season finale better be pure gold," Jack says, munching on some popcorn. "We did not go through all of this for nothing."

"Agreed," I say, turning up the volume as the show starts.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the TV glitches and shuts off, leaving Jack and I shocked on the couch.

I turn to him, wide-eyed. "Did it just...?"

"No," Jack says. "No way."

I get up and flick a lightswitch. No lights come on. "Damn. Power's out."

"Ugh!" Jack says, pouting playfully. "Now we'll never know how the season ends, and I am not in the mood for spoilers!"

I laugh. "Jack, they'll run it again."

"It's not the same." He turns to face me on the couch as I sit back down. "Well, what do we do now?"

"Read a book?"

Jack makes a face. "Do I look like Jonah to you?"

"Maybe not," I laugh. "I would dare you to be like him for a day."

Jack's eyes light up. "Truth or dare!"

"What?"

"We're playing truth or dare blondie, no way around it." Jack looks at me, his brown eyes narrowed. "So...truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"Playing it safe, I see." Jack thinks for a second. "Okay. Who really put the hole in the wall upstairs? Because I know that it wasn't the dog we don't own."

"Zach," I laugh. "With his head."

Jack laughs. "I don't even want to know."

"It's Zach!" I say, laughing with him. "How else am I supposed to explain that?" I wait until the laughter stops, and then say, "Okay, okay, truth or dare?"

This goes on for a while, us asking stupid things back and forth, slowly getting more serious.

"When did you know she cheated?" Jack says, asking for the truth to my first and last girlfriend.

"When she came to my house drunk with my best friend."

"Ouch," Jack answers.

"Yep," I sigh. "Haven't trusted anyone else since."

"Maybe you should. Trust someone else, I mean."

"And who would that be?" I ask, looking down.

"Truth?" Jack says, calling my attention back to his face. I nod. "Me." He leans forward and kisses me, and my heart melts because of it, and it's the most perfect mess of a moment I've ever experienced.

"Truth or dare?" Jack asks once we're apart again, my head now on his shoulder.

"Hmm...dare."

Jack looks into my eyes. "I dare you to trust me."

"Done," I say, and he kisses me again.

By the time we open our eyes, the lights are back on and we're out of the darkness.

~