Liar - Jachary

Zach eases the door closed and kicks his shoes off quietly, not wanting to wake Jack, who was sleeping upstairs. Or so he thought. However, rounding the corner, he sees Jack sitting in the living room of their apartment, his head in his hands. "What's wrong baby? Why aren't you asleep?" Zach asks him.

Jack spoke calmly, quietly, and somehow that scared Zach more than if Jack were to be yelling at him. "Corbyn called me tonight, about an hour ago." Zach sits beside Jack nervously. He senses what's coming next. "I didn't want to believe him at first."

"What are you talking about?" Zach asks. Although he knows all too well what Jack was referring to.

Earlier that night, Zach had gone out to a party. Jack, not really being a party type of guy, had decided to hang back. He had sent Zach out the door with a kiss and love, wishing him a good time at the party.

No sooner had Jack texted Zach goodnight, that he would see him in the morning, when his best friend Corbyn called.

"Hey Corbs. What's up?"

"I have to tell you something that you aren't going to like." Corbyn's worried tone made Jack shiver.

"What is it?" He asks, unsure if he wanted the answer.

"I just saw Zach with Kay," Corbyn reported. Kay had been falling for Zach since even before he and Jack started dating, and she hated Jack with a burning passion. Of course she was there tonight. She knew she could get Zach alone. "They were all over each other. And..."

"And? Corbyn Matthew Besson, finish that sentence!"

"They went into a room together," Corbyn says breathlessly, as though saying it fast would soften the blow. It didn't. "And no one has seen them since. We think-"

"Corbyn Matthew Besson, don't you dare finish that sentence," Jack says, the complete opposite of when he had wanted all the details earlier. "I know exactly what you think."

"I'm sorry Jack," Corbyn says. "But I thought you should know."

The line goes dead as Jack drags himself to the couch, his heart heavy. How could Zach do this to him? With everything they'd been through together? Did it mean nothing to him? And now, here he was, confronting Zach, watching his six years of a relationship fall apart in front of his eyes.

"You know perfectly well what I'm talking about," he says now. "There's lipstick on your neck, your hair's a mess, and you smell like cheap perfume!" Jack breathes out through his nose, trying to control his tears. "How long?"

"No. Jack, no. You don't understand!"

"Zach!" Jack stands, furious now. "I know you've been with her! So, enlighten me - how long has it been?"

Zach hangs his head and mumbles, "Six months."

Jack falls silent. He can't control his tears any longer as he says, "I see. I'll be gone by morning."

Zach jumps up. "You're leaving?"

"Oh no, honey," Jack says, stifling a sob. "I'm moving on. I'm letting go. If you really want to be with Kay that badly that you had to cheat on me, then I'll make it all easier for you."

Zach opens his mouth. "I never meant to cheat on you-"

"Lies," Jack interrupts. "There are so many lies that people don't know the truth to, and when they find out, it crushes them. Don't lie to me, Zach. I don't want to be crushed again."

Zach hangs his head. "I'm so sorry."

"What did I just tell you?" Jack asks, stepping in front of Zach with newfound anger and resentment. "Don't lie to me."

Jack was true to his word. By the time Zach woke up the next morning, Jack's things were gone and there was one final note on the table.

Good luck with everything you ever do. I love you forever, whether I want to or not. I can't help myself.
Goodbye, Zach.
Love always, Jack

Gone was any trace of him.

You never trust a liar. Because when they finally tell you the truth, you second-guess every move they make. Zach was the one thing that Jack never had to second-guess. Until he found out how big of a liar Zach really was.

~