Healing at Walter Reed

After a quick lunch of chicken patty sandwiches from the cafeteria Dr. Winn came in with Karen.

"So Ssgt Markson. How are you feeling today?"

"i'm feeling OK" he said honestly. In pain was but not going to admit it.

"how has the pain been? I see you have not been getting it much"

"Its not too bad. Nothing I cant deal with"

"Don't bullshit him Cal. Doc he is in a lot a pain at times and wont ask for the meds"

"I see. Is there a reason you wont ask?"

"I'm a man, I can take it. I'm fine" Cal told him his head held high. He hated the stuff and was so scared to get addicted to it. So many people went down that road never to come back. He would not be one of them. Though at times the pain was so bad he wanted to puke.

"i see this all the time. Your body has one duty right now. To heal. If your in pain your body has to fight the pain and worry about healing after. Its counter productive" The doctor stated matter of factly.

"I don't want to be addicted to them. I wont do it, I also don't like how I feel foggy. I want to be awake. I want to remember things. Don't get me wrong sleeping with Harm in my arms is amazing but I hate feeling dazed and out of it."

"OK. So what if we make a plan to give you the hard stuff at night so you can sleep soundly. Then give you something that is not likely to make you as groggy during the day? But if were going to do that then you need to allow them to give it to you every six hours. Even if your not in a whole lot of pain it also have other things in it to help you"

"I'm fine with that. So how are things doc?"

"There doing well. I'm going to try a new way to change your bandages today if your OK with it. I want to have Harmony straddle a chair and have you sit on the edge of the bed and have you lean on her back. Wrapping your arms around her belly. Kinda hugging her from behind. That way I can check out how the skin is. Make sure its not healing with too much scar tissue. Also I'm going to keep you awake. Just give you a small dose to keep you with it but not with it all the way. You should feel pressure but not much pain. If you do let me know and ill give you a little bit more, Sound like something your OK with?"

"Doc are you asking me if I'm OK with finally being able to wrap my arms around my girl?" Cause you don't need to ask my twice. Karen can you take pictures? I wanna see my back please."

"Sure. Lets get started. Harmony if you would grab the chair on wheels. I would put a blanket on the back rest so its more comfortable. Your umm top may get squished, Cal when you lean forward your going to want lean on her. Don't worry you wont hurt her" Karen informed him.

Harmony straddled the chair tucking the blanket against her chest. It did help. They got Cal sitting up and then pushed the chair back against the bed. Asking her to nestle back a little so Cal was leaning over more. It put her butt right up against his bare groin. Karen handed Harmony another blanket to give Cal something to cover himself with. Once Cal had his arms around her they gave him the pain meds. Harmony felt it when it hit. He became heavier on her. She liked it. Dr. Win talked to them the entire time. Told them everything he was doing noting the changes from yesterday and how the skin was doing well. Cal may have been out but his hands weren't. He had them under her shirt. Almost to up to her breasts. Harmony had to stop from moving, it was hard for her. Having his this close and his hands wandering was something new.

"Karen would do me a favor, I have a thing for pictures. I am documenting the process. Could you use my camera to take some pictures of us. Its simple hit the red button then the top button. I can alter them later. Its a hobby."