The Curse

The letters kept coming and going.

And Germany always smiled as he read one.

He felt like Liechtenstein was basically catching him up on everything. She told him about life since he been gone, how everyone's behavior changed, how she had been feeling during it all. How she was so glad she was finally able to talk to him, even if it was through letters.

She told him about Belgium coming over and what she had said to the woman.

He had felt a bit saddened at that, he really wished Liechtenstein and Switzerland wouldn't have gotten any blame for the war at all. But sadly, his, Prussia's, Austria's, and Hungary's involvement in the war had put a stain on their family.

A permanent stain that included all of the Germanics. 

He couldn't tell if it seemed like she felt guilty or regretful... The letter had a somber tone to it... But it seemed like she was just missing Hungary, was questioning if Belgium wanted to replace her, and wanted to just have Maria to talk to in person. She was just so... isolated.

You could tell that this girl needed more female nations to interact with. 

He felt so bad.

He had wrote back to her saying that he didn't think Bel was trying to replace Hungary, and that maybe she could try and talk to the older woman. 

Belgium was really the closest female nation that Liechtenstein had spoke to before after all.

Maria was an ocean away.

He told her, to stay strong and that Hungary would be back soon. 

And that he was so so sorry.

That had all been in the last letter he sent her, along with about 200 dollars. With every letter he sent her, he sent her money. Wanting her to do something for herself. 

Germany sighed, he really hoped Liechtenstein was doing something like that. The poor girl.. 

But thankfully, awhile ago Austria had called America, who had given the phone to Maria, who had been asked if she could have a sleepover with Liechtenstein sometime.

So that was being planned.

And with that, when Maria went over, she could give Lily more letters he had written and she could tell her much more and yeah... Hopefully this would come soon. 

The sound of a door closing brought him out of his thoughts. He saw America sadly walk in.

Oh right, he had just come back from the Paris Peace Accords.

That had ended American involvement in Vietnam.

To him, it seemed like Alfred was caught between two or even three places. 

He didn't want anymore casualties, he didn't want his people there any longer. It was so much bloodshed. 

He didn't want any more Vietnamese casualties either, he felt so terrible about that.

But he also didn't want Communism to spread. 

Being a country.... he shook his head.... it was such a curse. 

You were always caught up with being a country and a person. There was a saying between nations.

There was no such thing as true friendship. 

It was true of course, today you could be fine, the next you could be having differences in politics, and the very next day.

You could- you would be at war.

That's just how things went.

"I failed," America shook his head, "I failed them. I failed her."

He gave the other nation a look of sympathy, based on what he heard, Vietnam had really been counting on Alfred, it sounded like she personally didn't want communism. So now that he was leaving...

America felt like he betrayed her.

It truly was terrible.

"She didn't even want to talk to me," He said... "She didn't look at me."

He was so so sorry.

To everyone.

His people, her people: there had been so much bloodshed and his soldiers had even done a massacre, so many of his troops had PTSD.

To her: He said he would help her, he promised. Now look at them.

After all he had done.

America and Vietnam had held what you would have thought would of been a pretty strong friendship. She had held hope in him...... This was sort of like Liechtenstein, she had truly trusted her friends, gave them all her heart.

And the war made everything pull away.

It broke friendships, brought out betrayal, hatred, pain, sadness.

This applied to his sister, this applied to what Vietnam was feeling, most of this applied to America.

The curse of being a nation.

And worst of all, nations held each other up to what happened as countries. You could say, how could you not. But when things happened as nations, it was out of their control.

But it was their nature.

Who knows how long it would take for them to actually separate county and person?

Who knows?

So all the pain and backlash they got from each other. It would go on until someone would learn and pass it on. So for now...

Friendships would continue to break. Pain would continue to be felt. Sadness and tears as well. Anger, that wasn't a surprise, it would never end. Betrayal... that would live on.

It was all the curse of being a nation.

There was no such thing as true friendship.

And any nation who believed differently...... He looked at a shaking America.. and sighed, getting up to comfort him.

They were fools.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It's been weeks, sorry. I was focused on Unraveling, but that's story's over now. I'm hoping the next chapter will be a time skip.