5 4 My Claws Have Ripped

I had come back without anyone noticing me. All I needed to do now was read the book and I did that while sitting inside the bathroom. It was merely ten pages of reading and then it was left abruptly—As if the writer just left in a hurry. Demons had answers and so did angels. I didn't know any ceremonies to call an angel, which meant that I had to depend on a demon. But performing such a ceremony in front of Lict won't be possible—I needed to be alone.

"Lict, can you go buy me some souvenirs?" I said from the bathroom.
"Oh sure, Milady." It was our last day at Tsarskoye Selo. I needed to do everything quickly and quietly.

When lict left, I heard the door close. I came out of the bathroom and stood there facing the balcony. I was ready for the evocation and its outcomes. I drew the summoning circle, looked into and started reading the chants in my head. My inner aura felt disturbed as the circle slowly lit up red. I had a lack of sleep and spirit energy—Maybe it wasn't the best time to connect with the demon realm but I didn't have much time. I couldn't wait for very long or the next demon I'd be summoning would be Lict.

"Speak, Vierne" I heard. I was trying not to shiver—He knew my name. I looked up but I couldn't see anyone. He had a deep and strong voice.

"I want your help."
"If you want my help, you need to form a contract with me."
"No, I will not do that. I want to become a gatekeeper, not another victim."
"I know of a gatekeeper who formed a contract with Lilith."

"Wujin?" He knew what I wanted to know—Made my work easier.
"Yes. He formed a contract with her in exchange for his soul."
"What did he wish for?"
"For immense power so that he would win the gatekeeper throne. He said he didn't want to lose his star spirit."

He did it to protect Lict—The results are so ironic they make me want to laugh. So, now it's confirmed he made a contract.

"A god contacted Lilith and told her she'd help her take over his body." I knew gods were involved, "What did she do?"
"She fed him something that would make him weak so that Lilith could take over him. She told her that her motive was to kill Lict and she asked to possess him and turn him into a demon. In return, Lilith could feed on an elite star's soul,"

"Her main target was Lict?"
"Yes, the gatekeeper was just a ladder to reach him."
"Why would she do that? Who was she and what did she feed Wujin?"
"Why don't you ask that to her yourself?"

"Myself?" And everything turned white. I turned towards the dark and saw a woman pouring water on herself in a wooden bucket—Just like Lict! She had long, silver curls and skin as black as ebony. I walked towards her, "I want to ask you something," I stood right behind her. She stopped pouring the water.

"You want to cure your star spirit?" She asked and turned towards me. She had no face, "There's no cure!" I shrieked. Many dark hands grabbed my feet from the ground and pulled me inside the ground. I landed inside my mother's rose garden. I got up and looked at my parents. My father stood before my mother, with a gun in his hands. He shot her thrice in her head, "Dad, what are you doing?!" Did he kill my mother? Then who killed him? My head was hurting,

"Form a contract with me, Vierne," He walked over the dead body and looked into my eyes, "Don't you want to know who you are? I will tell you, and I can save Lict. I'm a superior abyssal demon after all. I can fulfil every wish and desire you have, defeat all your enemies and protect you from other demons." He looked just like Lict, except his eyes and hair. I looked at him.

"I have the answers, Vierne and only I have the answers. About your past, present and your future. And anyway, all you need to do is give our soul which is anyways useless to you after you die, isn't it? Just imagine, you won't have to study anymore and you'll be the strongest, you can control all humans, have unmatchable beauty or wealth and fame—Anything you ask me and I'll give it to you. There's not much to think about, what do you say? Do you form a contract with me?"

He knew what I wanted—I can't believe that I'm letting this happen but I can't stop myself, "Ye—"

"Vierne!" I heard and suddenly the demon disappeared. In the real world, Lord Akagi was pulling me down from the air, I didn't realise I was in the air "What the fuck are you doing?!" I came back to my senses and fell on the floor. The summoning circle disappeared. I looked around, "Wujin made a contract with a demon."
"You called a fucking demon?!" Lord Akagi pulled me up by my collar. He saved me from forming a contract. A part of me was grateful, the other was angry. I looked into his eyes,

"What else could have I done?"
"You could have approached a god. They would help him—"
"They won't because they want him cursed! I told you, didn't I? A god is behind all this!"
"How do you know that?"
"The demon told me,"

"You trust a demon?"
"Yes, I do."
"He just tried to form a contract with you—"
"Didn't Melissa tried to form a contract with you? For fuck's sake she is a sin star—Does that make her bad?!"

"You have no right to talk bad about my star spirit, okay? You have no idea who she is so shut up!"
"I know what she is—You don't need to clarify that. Wasn't she sending ghouls to have sex with humans?"
"Vierne!"
"Shouting doesn't make you right. Tell me if I'm wrong."

He shook his head, "If demons are so good, then why don't you want your star spirit to become a demon?" I had no answer to that. I was losing to him and I hated losing.

"You know demons aren't good and you still contacted one."
"Because gods are against us, who should we turn to? You seem like you don't give a damn about Lict—Time is running away like water! You can stand by but I can't!" I shouted at him. For the first time, I shouted at Lord Akagi. The disrespect was real.

"So, you're going to form a contract with a demon now? How does that make you any different from Wujin? Do you know the meaning of that—Even if you save Lict, he would eventually have to kill you when you are possessed next and he'll again get entrapped! You are not finding the solutions but just creating more problems! Tell me if I'm wrong,"

I looked at my feet. I had been naïve and stupid. I realised I couldn't depend on demons anymore. And I couldn't see any other path either.
"Stop it, Vierne. Learn when to give up," Lord Akagi said.
"But I can't—I want to know just who am I? I am so confused and I have so many questions. I can't give up now. Dad killed mom, Akagi. I saw it with my own eyes." She said.

"What?"

"He shot her in her head—And I don't know why he would do that. And who killed dad? And the goddess that poisoned Wujin, and why does she Lict? Who is Evgeni and how are we related? And why do I feel so connected to the Romanovs? There's just so much that my head feels like it's holding on for too long now."

Lord Akagi just looked into my eyes and took out a little something from his pocket. He held my hand and pressed the cold item on my palm. It was a necklace. A silver string and a blue rectangle at one of its ends. It had my name written over it in Latin.
"Melissa found it in your mother's garden. Do you recognise it?"
"I think..." I was remembering something,

"I do recognise it, but I don't know where I have seen this,"

-To be continued

Vierne Obolensky
Dear Ms Lady Demigod