7 1 The Summoning

Aleksei had learnt about Goddess Yolanda from folktales. He had realised that's who she was because her symbol was blue or violet roses and that's what grew from her spirit so it was Goddess Yolanda's dead body. So, Vierne was Yolanda's daughter. Yolanda's human name was Laura. He remembered his grandfather told him about the seven Mousai or 'muses'. They were the goddesses of art and stars—The source of inspiration to poets in paradise. 

One among them was Yolanda, born from the petals of violet rose. She was the youngest and most beautiful among the seven muses. She had an unwavering love towards humans and often visited the human world. She fell in love with a human man and went to visit him in a beautiful human form. Legends say she was so pretty, that every God thirsted for her and every Goddess envied her. The human man fell for her at first sight. He was a soldier in the army.

She taught him magic and that started the realm of psychics—Those humans who could use magic. He learnt of magic of destruction to protect himself and win the war against normal humans and magic of healing to heal every other soldier friend of his. She had a child with him and the other gods learnt of it. She had committed a forbidden act since demigods weren't much liked or considered holy back then.

She was locked inside the castle of the seven muses and that human man was killed along with the child by the gods. The goddess felt it was unfair for the other gods to decide her fate. In anger and agony, she performed the fierce dance of destruction and heaven began falling apart. In that chaos, the hour of Music was born. He wasn't born from happiness but anger and pain.

All the gods ran towards the castle and begged for mercy and forgiveness, she said she'd stop if they would give the man a rebirth and make him a demigod--Someone that the gods hated. The gatekeepers back then were gods rather than demigods. But that decision Yolanda made changed everything. The mortal was born again as a demigod representing destruction, and Yolanda became a star to serve him. 

She asked the demigod to fight against the gods for the throne of the gatekeeper—She became his sword—Astral Bluewood, and with her, he defeated the deities to take over the gatekeeper throne. Everyone despised Yolanda for they looked at her as a traitor and a characterless goddess, serving a half-mortal. They ruled for centuries, then had a child and decided to return back to the mortal world. But, rather than giving the throne to the deities again, the gatekeeper decided to hold a parade among other demigods for the gatekeeper throne. And that continued to bring the once-neglected demigods at par with gods.

Yolanda raised her child in the mortal world but suddenly one day her spirit energy disappeared completely. Nobody knew what happened to her and her family. Well, they still wouldn't if Aleksei didn't meet Vierne and he hadn't felt her spirit energy. Laura was Yolanda, the Goddess and Music and Melody and Vierne is her only child. Then, who was Evgeni?

Aleksei looked through the books in the library that night, hoping to find something among those books. But those were just books that Vierne had collected, perhaps Laura's books and belongings got burnt into the fire that Vierne mentioned. Slowly, the room lit up golden. It was morning already.

"I guess you didn't sleep," Akagi stood at the door. Aleksei turned back, "Well, I won't fight—I never do. You guys will be doing the fighting so I guess it's fine even if I'm on low sleep.
"I still don't believe that Vierne and Evgeni are siblings. It never occurred to me,"
"There's no other way to explain their lockets. What I am thinking is why Vierne doesn't feel the spirit energy in that garden."
"That may be because  her energy is the same as her mother's."

"How is that possible. It takes a lot of time to collect so much spirit energy. It indicates one thing—Vierne is seventeen—But I don't know since how many years has she been seventeen,"

That morning, Grigory was sitting on the floor of his room, with a summoning ring drawn on the floor. He was afraid because he believed it would work. but he also wanted to try something different from his everyday life. He had spent the previous day deciding whether he should do it or not and now here he was. He closed his eyes and chanted the demon summoning spell, "Veni, inquit, quia vocavi te!" The room slowly turned dark and the ceiling began moving. The summoning ring lit up bright red and a black cloud came out of it. 

"What do you want?" Grigory heard the demon's voice.
"I want to know the cure."
"Cure to what?"
"A god's curse,"
The demon laughed, "There's no such thing as a cure to a god's curse!"

"You know the cure—Don't demons know of everything?"
"How would I know of something that doesn't exist,"
"It exists but it's hidden or you are hiding it,"
"I am not. There is no cure. They feed on spirit energy once they are possessed. And I have never heard of any other fate than death."
"You won't give me my answers,"

"I'm not obliged to do so—Stop feeling so entitled."
"But I need the cure or Lict will die! A world without music isn't worth living!"
"If you want, I'll give you all your answers."
"Really?"

"But in return, I want your body and soul. If you form a contract with me, I will swear my loyalty and powers to you. I will provide you with whatever you want and protect you from other demons. What do you say?"

'I should have known. It's unlikely the devil will give you a straight answer. There's no way I'm getting a square deal out of him. But it's not like I'm sure I'll be going to heaven anyway. I might as well try to pull one over on him.' 

"Do you promise me?"
"I do," Demons are full of lies. He might even possess me after getting hold of my body.
"We are running out of time. Do you want to form a contract or you don't?'
I might wind up spending an eternity slow-roasting over a pit of flaming viper venom in hell. But I need to help Vierne, I can't let this world lose music. Whatever will be will be!

"I want to,"
His finger developed a tiny slit which oozed out a drop of blood that fell on a paper. It was the contract with the demon, Marquis. He signed the contract in blood. Slowly, the black smoke covered him and the contract sealed upon his skin.

"If you die, I will take you to hell with me," The demon whispered into his ears.
"But you said you'd protect me," Grigory said.

"Of course, I will, master," Slowly the black clouds disappeared and the devil took a human form. He had dark, black hair and black eyes that looked straight at Grigory. The devil bowed before him with a smile on his face, "I am mighty Marquis of Hell, commanding thirty legions of demons. What would you like to call me, master." 
Grigory looked into his eyes which weren't black but a deep shade of red. He believed that only this demon could save all of them now.

"Viktor" He named him.

Grigory was back inside his room and the summoning circle printed on his stomach with Viktor imprinted at the centre of the circle.
'What have I done?'

Grigory took a deep breath,
"Viktor, tell me the cure to a god's curse upon a star,"
"It is the spirit energy of the god or goddess who created that star that can save it from a curse. If you want to know about Music, the goddess who made him is dead,"

-To be continued

ViktorDear Ms Lady Demigod

Viktor
Dear Ms Lady Demigod