Chapter 8A - Take cover.

Brad Pitt as Raul Winter and Angelina Jolie as Georgiana Klyne

**************************************************************

                                                     RAFE

We are all in the foyer ready to leave for Crimson River Pack. Staffs are loading our luggage into the cars. The noise, the running around, the number of luggage that keeps increasing is astounding to me. Last count, we had over ten pieces of luggage just for my sister. I hate travelling with them, too much luggage, delay in taking off and I guarantee that they'll scare my mate.

"Mother, do you think you have enough clothes and shoes yet?"

"Sweetie, I don't know how long we'll be there, so I pack for any and every occasion."

"Did you pack that sexy red number I like?" Raul winks at my sister.

"Won't leave home without it," she replies as she bends down to kiss him slowly and long.

"Dad, you're not helping," whines Freddy.

"That's it! We leave for the airport in five minutes, anyone not in the car stays behind," I yell at the ruckus that is my family. I put on my coat, walk out down the breezeway to the first car with Julian my cousin by my side. "Jeffery, we leave in five, got it?"

"Yes, my Lord," replies Jeffery as he gets into the driver seat.

Five minutes later, Jeffery pulls out. I don't bother to check if they're following or not. It will be great if they don't make the trip, if they miss the flight that works in my favor.

My mind's back to my mate, I am looking forward to seeing him, spending time with him and getting to know him. A werewolf in a werecat pack? That takes a lot of gumption for him to do that. I wonder why?

"So, your mate is a wolf?"

"Unh unh," I grunt, not in the mood for conversation. I just want to sit back and think of my mate. But good manners require me to answer him. Julian is my first cousin; we grew up together and are quite close. He's a Lord in the clan, but I am the High Lord of Silvern Clan. If anything should happen to me, my sister, or niece, he will assume leadership of the clan. In vampire clans, leadership is by birthright.

"Yes, he's a wolf."

"A wolf, very unusual."

Moving the conversation away from my mate, I ask him, "how was the meeting with Tobias?" Lord Tobias Hunter is the leader of Blood Dusk Clan and a good friend. He's battling a sudden rise in hybrids same as I.

"He has also seen an unusual increase in hybrids. He put his best people on it and has nothing to report."

Hybrids are what we call humans turned by an Original, a Lord or Lady and a Fledging. A soldier cannot turn a human. They end up killing the human if they attempt to turn one and use this particular skill to kill in battle.

A sudden rise in hybrids can mean one of two things: one, a High Lord or Lady is breeding an army or two, he or she is trying to start a Clan without the approval of the Originals. Both situations are rule breakers in my world with dire consequences.

The Originals are the ruling body for vampires. They sanction every Clan in existence since time began. As High Lord, I am charged with resolving this issue because the sudden hybrid rise is in two places: one is my neck of the woods, Tobias the other. I have limited time to resolve it or the Originals will step in. I don't want the Originals to step in because no one wins when they interfere.

We arrive at the runway. I get out of the car and see my family pull up. Not a minute to waste, we get on the jet and head off. I lean back, close my eyes, and link my niece to keep her mother occupied. I need a minute or two to think about how I'm going to explain six more vampires to Salim.