Chapter 44A Reprieve

Jason Dolley as Cal Yorke

*****************************************************************

Cal's POV

"Ancient One, is this going to be the norm? Fighting with the ruling council every time?" I whisper, not expecting an answer.

"What do you expect? The council screwed up a lot, resistant to change and are very stubborn," Esme whispers back.

"Shit! You scared me for a minute. I thought you were the Ancient One," I bump her hard.

I am not in a good or forgiving mood right now. With everything, they say I must monitor the burglar. This is not my decade. We all follow the guard down a familiar route from my previous lockdown here at the council residence. All I want to do is go home and snuggle with my mates.

I ask Jeffery to teleport Miranda Crowe, Allen Polley and Luka Smith to their respective abodes as soon as we left the chambers. I promised him we'll still be here when he returns. Man, he's stubborn.

"Mother!" Freddy runs into Georgiana's arms as we enter the suite. Everyone looks fine, thank the Sun god. I guess everyone needs a hug from their mother when they've gone through a harrowing experience. No one, not even the haughty Freddy wants to go head to head with the council. I hope this experience has taught her a lesson.

"Mother, I got exiled AND probation. If I steal even a pencil, I will be severely punished. Don't they know how hard that will be?" Georgiana hugs her back, slowly rocking both of them side to side.

Obviously not. "Not funny Freddy." I nudge her as I walk to my mates.

"Just joking, relax Cal. Summer will kick my butt if I step out of line."

"Not only Summer, so will the council and me."

"Thank the Sun god you're okay," Georgiana says. She holds Freddy's face in her hands and rain kisses all over. "Cal, Esme, thank you so much."

I reach my mates and fall into their open arms, drained. They circle me in their arms.

"Tired?" Rafe asks as he kisses me on the right side of my face.

"Just a smidge."

"Sleepy?" Darric asks and kisses me on the left side of my face.

"Just a smidge."

Alpha Salim walks up to us, while Summer goes over to her mate.

"Gentlemen, may I?" he nods towards me.

I look at him wondering, and the next thing I am in huge arms high above the floor hugged tight.

"Thank you so much, Cal. I thank the goddess the day that witch forced you into my pack," he says.

"You're welcome," shouts Esme.

I hug him back, smiling. I hear my mates hiss and growl.

"Relax mates, he's my Alpha remember?"

"I'm your Alpha," Darric says and pulls me away from Alpha Salim, back to his side.

"In the bedroom, yes you are my alpha but in the real world, I belong to Crimson River Pack, meaning under Alpha Salim's leadership."

"Honestly you, my dear mate, continue to be a conundrum," Darric says. "You rejected the Moon goddess and chose the Sun god, but you're still tied to both of them. You're one of Ancient One's new weapons, so to speak. You have unlimited powers as we're finding out day by day. And you still belong to a different pack than your mate's. Living with you is like peeling an onion, new surprises every day," Darric sighs.