Chapter 30 - Six Months Later-All Darric

Isn't mating and being in love supposed to be easy as pie? My mates have all but abandoned me. Rafe is at work and Cal is head deep in his schoolwork, quiet as a mouse here in the den with me. I bemoan my current state of affairs while I sit surrounded by old worn out books on supernaturals since the inception of time. I sink deeper into the sofa, pouring over the Klyne collection of books on all supernatural species.

I've looked through a few books myself and awed by the information I wasn't aware of. Who knew that fairies are the designated 'messenger' for all supernaturals? And that they are the secret keepers? Brings me back to Maie, Rafe's fairy friend, wonder how many secrets she's keeping and for whom? The Klynes really have an enviable collection in their repertoire.

The last six months have had its highs and lows. Highs: whenever I'm with my mates, planning for our future and all working towards the growth and compatibility of our pack and clan. Lows: when I'm alone and remember my mother and brother, their betrayal and banishing them to that hellhole Vagabond Keepers Pack–the werewolf pack near the ruling council for wayward weres.

The ruling council created four camps for the four branches of supernaturals. These camps are for the banished and evil, unredeemable supernatural. We call them the 'Four Apocalypse' or in layman's terms; the gateway to hell. Nobody ever returns from there.

So, the weres have the Vagabond Keepers pack where my mother and brother now live, vampires have the Banished Posse Clan, the witches have Mystic Circle coven, and finally, the others have the Thunder Dust Clan. Every supernatural will rather die than end up at any of the four hellholes. But like my mate said, better banishment than killing them, which is irreversible.

Rafe has been so busy that some nights he forgets which home he's supposed to be, and Jeffery teleports us to wherever he finds himself. I know his workload has more than doubled since the death of Julian, but something needs to change before he works himself to an early grave. I worry about some maniac kidnapping and hurting my mates. I never thought of his job slowly killing him.

I cornered him in his office a few months ago and told him he needed to slow down and find someone else to take up some of Julian's responsibilities. And punishing and driving himself to the point of physical pain will not bring Julian back. That didn't go over well. We had such a huge fight. He punched me a few times, and I let him. He needed to vent emotionally and start the healing process.

"You can't keep working yourself to death, Rafe. We're all worried about you."

"I am fine. The company will not run itself now, will it?" He snapped.

"No, it will not but you can delegate. You don't have to do all of Julian's work besides yours."

"Don't mention that name."

"Julian? He was a part of your life; you can't erase your memories."

"Shut the hell up and get out of my office, Darric." He rushed me and battered me for a few minutes. I still got in his face.

"I will not. This has gone long enough. Talk to us, let us help you. You're slowly killing yourself and I will not let your guilt or whatever about Julian hurt you any longer. You have many people that can step up and help. I can help Cal and Georgiana are ready to help. Just tell us what you need doing."

"What do you two know about vampires rules? How can you help? Tell me."

"Get off your high horse, will you? We may not know much but the little we know can help you."

"I'm sorry Darric, it's just..."

"I know that's why I am cutting you a slack. My usual self will have hit you back and beaten some sense into that gorgeous head of yours."