Chapter 22 - The battle for Cal's soul begins.

Warning - there's torture and extremely foul language in this chapter.

***conversation with his wolf in italics***

Cal's POV

I hurt. I hurt really bad. From the pain and being in this awkward half folded position. I am on the floor. And I feel a cold breeze on my body. I must be in an open room. My body is laying on the jagged ground that is poking and prodding my skin. They had tried to force more of the poison in me, but I threw it up every time. I was still groggy from the original dose. Thank goddess it was not a fatal dose. I was moved from the dark small space to a dark room, at least it felt like a room, but I couldn't see anything through the blindfold. The 'lady' had them leave me alone for a while. Who is this lady and why me?

I am now alert. How long I have been here I have no idea. I try to link my mates and Esme but there's an invisible barrier that I cannot penetrate. This whole area has an impenetrable veil around it. I have to think of another way out of here or at least a way to link my mates. My mates? Rafe and Darric will be going batshit crazy but I know Rafe will be calm and Darric will not hide it. I miss them. I want them. I need them. Goddess why me?

I hear footsteps and relax my body, so it looks like I'm still sleeping. Clinging sound, and I can smell three werewolves. Someone turns me over and the ropes on my hands and legs are cut. I remain still not reacting to freedom. The wolf pulls my blindfolds off and cuts the gag in my mouth and his claws cut my chin, stinging a little. He grabs me and dumps me on a softer surface.

"I know you're awake."

How can I forget that we 'weres' have sensitive hearing? I really am losing it. Cal get it together. You need your wits around you to get out of this situation, I tell myself.

"Did you see that his cut healed instantly? What are you?" Asks the wolf next to me.

I open my eyes, blink a few times, and rub my eyes. I'm still in my groomsman suit albeit dirty and sweaty. There's a dim light in the cell courtesy of blinking bulb hanging down a rope in the middle of the room. I sit up slowly on a smelly and dirty twin bed. There are two wooden chairs by the cell door and one of the wolves is sitting on one watching me.

The cell looks like a torture basement. There are whips hanging on the wall. And on the opposite wall, are iron chains with cuffs at the end on the walls. I am royally screwed.

"I don't care. Hang him up. My lady wants him hung up on the wall. If he won't take the liquid, he'll take the beatings. String him up!"

The two next to me grab and drag me to the wall. They slam me against the wall and handcuff me to the wall. My bones literally pop from the sudden movement causing my body to ache in pain. I am facing all three wolves and the one at the door walks up to me, grabs the nearest whip, and whips himself on the leg a few times as he struts towards me. He is a little over six feet, dirty blonde hair, his fangs are protruding, and his claws are out.

"So, you heal fast? Let's see if the pains last as well, shall we?"

"Aahhh!!!" I cry out at the first lash. Several more lashes and my body burns with pain.

"You do heal fast, no marks at all. Makes me want to have some fun bruising every part of your body."

My head drops to my chest in exhaustion and pain. My skin may heal fast, but the pain is excruciating. And he proceeds to whip me for the next thirty minutes. I must have passed out because I wake up to cold water splashed on my face. How long was I whipped? I have no idea, but I am in so much pain, my tears mix with the water running down my face.

"Wakey, wakey, your highness!" Laughs the one whipping me to a bloody pulp. I raise my head and they are blurry figures standing in front of me.

Let me out, Cal. Your body can't take much more.