Chapter 26 - I will never be the same

***New James Purefoy still as High Lord Rafe Klyne***

Cal's POV

"Darric what's going on? Why are they fighting?" I grab his arm.

"Yes, tell us why my brother and cousin are going for each other's throats?"

"Julian is behind it all: your kidnapping, the rise in rogue and nightwalkers. According to him, the plan was to kill the three of us and take over the clan leadership," Darric replies never taking his eyes off Rafe.

"But that's stupid, he knows better. I'm next in line, then Freddy before him," Georgiana says.

"You and Freddy may have been next on his kill list," Esme shrugs.

Esme's reply hits Georgiana hard that she falls down on the floor, Raul tries to catch her to no avail.

Back to the two that are now slashing each other, the situation in front of us is dire at best. We hear their conversation and Julian is pushing all of Rafe's buttons, which is not good.

"All my life, it's been Rafe will be Clan leader, Rafe will head the company," Julian spits out.

"So, you did all this to rule the clan? You wanted to kill me and my mates just so you can rule the clan?"

"Yes, cousin. Do you know what my father told me on his death bed? I should be a great helper to you for the Clan's sake. What a slap in the face. Even my own father wants me to bow to your leadership. Bull shit, I can lead the clan just as well or even better than you."

"All you had to do was ask, Julian. I would've given it all to you. I love you. I loved you."

Julian suddenly pulls out of Rafe's hold and yells, "I fucking hate you all. I am not your pitiful cousin who you think you can throw bread crumbs to anymore" and slams his head onto Rafe's head causing Rafe to stagger back in pain.

"He hates us that much? Why didn't I see it, Raul?" Georgiana whispers to Raul without taking her eyes of her brother and cousin.

I keep hitting the force field, trying to get to my mate no dice. 

Rafe is fighting with remnant love for his cousin but Julian is fighting with decades of built up jealousy and rage; the odds are not in my mate's favor right now. 

Julian walks over to where Rafe lay on the floor and attempts to slash Rafe's neck but Rafe rolls away and jumps on his feet. Rafe does a 180 turn and kicks Julian in his stomach sending Julian hitting the wall hard.

Julian yells and flies towards Rafe, hitting him in the stomach rapidly sending Rafe staggering back, falling over the desk.

"I won't hurt you, Julian, you're my cousin, my blood brother. We grew up together. I love you. I'll give you the option. Turn yourself over to the ruling council and accept your punishment, but I won't kill you."

"Save that pathetic love for someone else. I can't stand how everyone defers to the almighty Clan leader. At the company, you make all the decisions. In family gatherings the same. Your sister, niece, and parents may like it, but I abhor it and you! And then you get not one but two mates? Is the universe crazy or what?"

"Leave my mates out of this, Julian. You're treading on dangerous grounds." Rafe gets up and I feel the change come over him, I believe everyone does. He moves purposely towards Julian. Something has changed. The mention of mates has turned Rafe from a loving brother to Julian's judge and jury. I pray not his executioner.

He grabs Julian and throws him up against the ceiling, stops Julian on his way down, and slams him face down hard on the floor. Julian hisses in pain, gets up and matches towards Rafe.