11

I flicked on the light switch as I shuffled into my bedroom, throwing my purse onto the bed. My hair had fallen out of place, and makeup had long disappeared as I studied my reflection. I rinsed water onto my face before attempting to remove the gown from my body, taking one last look at the way it brought out the confident individual in me. Failing to untie the bow at the back, I dropped to the floor in frustration. Why me? His words kept echoing and echoing over and over again in my head. I shook my head before getting off the floor, traipsing my way down the stairs towards the kitchen. Grabbing a bottle of Soju from the fridge I topped up a glass, sitting down at the table, watching the fireworks exploding outside the window as people welcomed the New Year. One drink. I promised myself. I downed the shot before sighing. Another one wouldn't hurt? Two shots. Three shots. Four shots. I lost count. I pushed the bottle aside before laying my head down against the hard wooden table. The quiet and empty house, with the alcohol in my system, I fell asleep.

-

The sound of curtains being drawn back and the sudden light hitting my face made my eyes open. The room seeming blurry at first, and the sound of a muffled voice speaking to me, the weight of the bed next to me going down. I rubbed my eyes, focusing on the person looking over me.

"Here" a hand extended before me, two painkillers and a glass of water in the other.

I finally was able to focus on the face, my mother, disapprovingly looking at me as I winced at her the headache above my eyes worsening with the brightness of the natural light. I grabbed the painkillers out her hand, before tipping them in my mouth and swallowing with the help of the water.

"How drunk do you want to make yourself?" She shook her head before placing the back of her hand against my forehead "I'm worried about you" she whispered as I lay my head back against the headboard.

"It's too bright" I complained before she slapped my face "what was that for?" I moaned as she rolled her eyes, in the same way I did.

"Come on, I can't have you like this...get up" she pulled the duvet off my body before standing up "it's New Year's Day, get dressed, I'm taking you for lunch"

"But I'm not hungry"

"You will be" she strutted out the room before pulling the door shut.

I reached for my phone, many notifications appearing on the screen. I hovered over the Instagram notification, squinting to see an image. I pressed on the notification as it opened up a picture of Taehyung surrounded by loads of people. The caption reading: Great Gatsby style. I paused as I saw Jungkook's face in the top right corner, squished between Jimin and Namjoon. His smile radiating through the screen. I locked the phone before shoving it aside. I guess he really was happier without me in his life.

-
Jungkook POV:

The sound of loud slurping came from beside me as Taehyung licked his lips, a satisfied 'ahhh' escaping his them, as he wiped his face.

"Do you need to eat any louder?" I grimaced before he smirked, continuing to stir his japchae before replying with a subtle "yes"

"So" Jimin began, pausing to put his chopsticks on the side of his bowl "you really told her to leave?"

I rubbed my temples before nodding, avoiding eye contact with both of them as they stopped eating "just like that?" Taehyung said

"I mean, she was engaged?"

"And? I doubt she is anymore" Taehyung said before leaning forwards "have you even considered asking her that?"

"N-no" I mumbled as Jimin shook his head laughing slightly,

"I get she was engaged, and that was harsh of her not to tell you the truth, but..." he paused to take a sip of his beer "you love her" he looked at me "don't you?"

"Love is a strange concept" I laughed awkwardly before shoving a piece of kimchi in my mouth, chewing as the flavours hit my tongue.

"Jungkook, it's Astra. Astra, the girl you spoke about all the time. Astra, the girl who you followed around for 4 years. Astra  the girl you sat and talked for hours with. And you're just going to let her go? It doesn't make sense to me" Jimin said as he blew on his noodles, cooling them down.

I didn't reply. What could I say. I turned my head to look at an older woman with her husband as she passed a piece of her dish feeding it into his mouth. The look of her happiness as he nodded in approval of her meal choice. I wanted that so badly. That feeling that there was just her. No one else.

"Just don't leave it too late" Jimin said, leaving it at that as Taehyung nodded in agreement.

But apart of me felt I had.

-

I tilted my head to the side as I stared up at the Metropolitan museum of art. The light blinding my vision as I pulled my sunglasses down over my eyes. Pulling my camera out my bag I focused on ensuring that the main focus of the museum was in clear clarity, before clicking the shot and shoving it back in my bag. Tourists sat baking in the first New Year sunlight as I followed my mum up the steps nearer to the entrance of the museum.

"Take a picture of me" she said enthusiastically as she handed me her phone posing in front of the camera

"You're so funny" I laughed as she blew a kiss at the camera "here" I passed her the phone as she flicked through the multiple shots smiling at each one.

"Your turn" she said holding up the camera as i took a seat on the steps.

I leaned my elbow onto the top of my knee, and rested my head against my hand, before giving the camera a smile. The wind blew my hair in the opposite direction as it covered my face. My mum burst out laughing, throwing her head back.

"Hey it's not that bad is it?" I moaned, tucking my hair behind my ears and taking the phone from her "hey mama!!!" I gasped as she started laughing, throwing her head back.

"Come on, let's go eat" she giggled, sighing as she took the phone shoving it in her jacket pocket.

"Your photos were a lot worse" I said as she shooed her hand at me

"Okay Astra"

"They were!" I said, smiling as she raised her eyebrow

And for once, the pain of the last two months seemed to disappear.

Little did Astra know, at that moment in time Jungkook watched from afar, hoping she would glance in his direction for a split second with the same smile she had, as she walked alongside her mother. And Alex sitting another 10 steps away, wishing Astra would take him back.
Both men smiled in awe of her before turning the opposite direction and walking away.