29

I pushed my folders aside head in hands before flicking off the light switch that sat beside me on the desk. Hours working: 12. I sighed deeply the stress levels that I didn't want to feel slowly creeping up. I checked the time on the clock that ticked on the wall. Less than an hour until I meet my dad again for the first time in at least 18 years old. I pushed the chair back away from the desk and had this point where I felt like crying. It was almost like overwhelming emotions hitting me at once. I wiped the tears from under my eyes before grabbing my denim jacket off the bed and heading down the stairs.

"I'm ready" I shouted as I pulled on my sandals, now stood in the hallway wearing a patterned green flowered dress with a V neck, and the small pendant necklace Jungkook had given me secured around my neck.

"She's gone already" Bronte's husband came round the corner, his hair stuck out at all ends as he looked as though he had just woken from a sleep "she said to meet her at the cafe because she had to pick something up beforehand, here's the address"

He handed me the piece of paper as I grasped it between my fingers "thanks"

It felt weird not having Bronte by my side as I walked through the doors of the cafe we always used to since childhood. I took a quick scan of the room before spotting Bronte waving from the corner, the back of a man facing me. I slowly walked over, palms sweaty, and anxiety levels all over the place before I came face to face with the only man I used to ever know.

"Hello Appa" I whispered.

The man in front of me...my father. His face softened as he took in the image of me, finally stood in front of him after years and years. The 6 year old me suddenly transformed into a grown adult, who had made a life for myself in a complete other city across the other side of the world. It felt weird and an indescribable feeling to finally see him in front of me again, the distant core memory I had of him hitting me. The way he used to always lift me up on his shoulders when my feet were tired from walking.

He reached forward to touch my face, cupping my cheek gently "you are beautiful" he whispered

My reflexes took over within that second as I wrapped my arms around his waist, my face nestling into his neck as I smelt the familiar aftershave on his clothes.

"I really missed you" I muttered before we leaned back to stare at one another again, still not being able to believe we were seeing each other in the flesh after over a decade "you haven't changed"

"I've got old" he laughed, as he guided me over towards the table, holding out the chair as I took a seat next to Bronte "it's not too weird that we are meeting here right?"

I took a look around the cafe and smiled to myself, inhaling the familiar smell of coffee and cake bringing me back to my childhood. Every Sunday we would eat breakfast and treat ourselves to the pastries in the cafe, both my mother and father smiling as Bronte and I dug in, the chocolate smearing over our faces. That was before their divorce, which ended in Bronte remaining in Seoul with my father, and I leaving for New York City with my mother. I had always looked up to the relationship that my mother and father had since I was a you girl and appreciated the love they had for one another. This radiated through their smile touches, smiles and laughter.  I used to watch in awe and think how can someone love a person that much? It didn't occur to me that until my first heartbreak, love isn't as simple as it seemed. The time we spent in this small business cafe really became an important memory to me, where it lay on the outskirts of Seoul.

"Astra" an elderly woman's voice came sounding from behind me, a hand tapping my shoulder "is that really you?"

I turned around, my eyes landing on Mrs Choi, the owner of the cafe her eyes showing so many overwhelming and joyous emotions. She had always treated me every time we visited, handing me an extra bowl of kimchi and telling me to keep quiet. I adored her as a child as now as I looked at her my face softened.