25

Rita POV:

"I miss you..."

Astra smiled and tilted her head to one side, as I studied her face on the laptop screen. Her hair had grown a bit longer, and healthy highlights naturally were placed throughout. Her face glowed happily, her cheeks flushed a rosy shade, complimenting with her green eyes that seemed to sparkle in a way I had not seen in a while. They glistened, looking like the whole world could amaze her. She leaned back on her chair, still smiling as I pouted, my eyes filling with tears.

"I miss you too, I'll be back before you know it" she leaned her elbow on her desk, her chin resting against the palm of her hand "also how is he, you know..." she paused and took a deep breath.

I knew exactly who she meant "jungkook?" I asked finishing off her sentence.

"Yes, is he okay?" She hesitated as she asked the question, as if she wasn't sure whether to even say anything in the first place.

"He's fine" I smiled closing my eyes.

He was fine. Yes he was. But that's only because he had found someone. He had met her at Taehyung's work-do, where in a matter of minutes they had got on like a house of fire. It wasn't long before she had slowly but surely weaved her way into the dynamics of our friendship. It stung a little, to know how easily she had been almost a replacement for Astra, and it was almost as we didn't expect the sudden change as we were convincing ourselves he was hung up on the whole situation that had under gone between both himself and her. Yet there, the girl, Ella, stood with a hand on hip, blonde, wavy hair almost down to her waist, immaculately perfect. He was happy. That was all that mattered. Right?
I averted my gaze back up to the screen of the computer as Astra sat silently waiting for my next words. I shifted on my seat, feeling uncomfortable with the fact I couldn't bring myself to tell her what had changed.

"Well I..." she ran her fingers through her hair scrunching her nose "...I met this guy"

My face obviously showed immediate shock as she quickly followed with a "but I've only seen him a few times at the restaurant he works for. Nothing more" her hand went down to the necklace she had on, the one Jungkook had gifted her,  her fingers fiddling with the charm on the end.

"Jungkook, hasn't perhaps moved on has he?" She said, as if reading my exact thoughts "and please tell me the honest truth..."

—🫶🏼—

"...and dumplings" I added, as I struggled to read the menu that was written on the back wall of the restaurant, wishing that for my sake I was wearing my glasses.

"so is your kitchen currently being renovated or?"

The cashier guy. Yes. Well no, he wasn't called 'the cashier guy' he hasn't actually told me his name but let's just refer to him as that for now. Was this the same guy I saw the first time I had come here? Yes. Was this the guy I had so supposedly 'met' yes. Was this the guy I kept coming back to the restaurant for? Absolutely. He passed my receipt back over the counter, his fingers fractionally brushing against mine.

"No..."

"Its just...you come here most days, I was just wondering what brought you back. The food? The customer service? I'm sure my boss would love to know..." he tilted his head to one side, a cheeky look in his eye