32

"Recruited someone new?" I stared at my boss as his gaze remained on the laptop screen lit up in front of him "and what does this have to do with me?"

I put that question plain and simple. It meant what it meant.

"I want you to chaperone them...you know..."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I tucked the folders of work under my arm, not completely understanding why I would spend my time training someone than working on the projects he wanted completed. I had been away for a couple of months to now return back to the main office that lay on the highest floor of the building in Manhattan, to be asked this so-called 'favour'. He was proceeding to talk as I stared out across at the vast views of the city overlooking Central Park, always having envied this view. Shaking my head slightly out of my sudden daze, I focused my attention back towards my boss' enthusiastic face once again, and the way his hands clasped together as he rested them gently on the table that sat between us. I guess it wouldn't be that bad chaperoning someone? I mean I was there at one point in my life with my ironed white shirt and non creased suit, as I prepared myself for my first few weeks. It wasn't until I started that I then realised I was a little too overdressed and settling for smart but casual was what they expected. Whoever this person was I would be able to at least help to some extent whether that's showing them one new thing. It's just a few weeks Astra, get over yourself.

"I'd be happy to. However..." I started as his eyebrow raised waiting for the reason as to why I wasn't so keen "I have been away from the office for a little over a couple of months with timely projects to still be completed. So you are absolutely certain there is no one else"

"I'm absolutely certain Astra" he smiled "I trust you to teach her well, that's why I've asked you"

"What's her name?" I asked, just as the door to the small confined office space opened wide, the hinges creaking. I turned to look over my shoulder, one hand falling into the safety of my jacket pocket.

"Ah here she is now" he stood up eagerly as I took in the young woman that stood awkwardly in the doorway, her blouse and skirt a little 'too' revealing for someone's liking. I turned away, rolling my eyes and sighing heavily, my boss now making his way over to her and placing a small encouraging hand on her petite shoulder.

"You asked for me?" She said quietly, but with the intention of coming across strong.

"Ella, meet Astra Kim, one of our top photographers and editor" he smiled "Astra...Ella, our newest recruit"

I gave her a small look up and down before extending my arm, hand held out ready for the response. She took one look at my hand, then at me, her face full of confusion as if she was trying to read me. Is she for real? I dropped my hand slowly, failing to get the response I wanted from her. Let it slide Astra, she's probably just nervous.

"It's a pleasure to meet you and welcome to the team" I spoke, adding a small smile "I hope we both get to know one another better"

"God, I'm sorry, that was so rude of me" she broke out of her daze, now fully engaged in the one sided conversation I seemed to be having for the past few seconds "it's lovely to meet you too. Your name sounds very familiar..."

"Astra Kim is known in most places" my boss laughed interrupting her train of thought, as he gave me a hard pat on the back making me wince "photographer of the year is that what they called you?"