33

12/09/17
the day i met him.

My mother always used to tell me it was fate if you met a person multiple times without intent, and that your whole life and perspective about life could be changed completely because of them. The most important start of this, was the first few words that would leave their lips, landing an instant impression on you. I never believed her until the day I met him.

"Where is it...?" I stressed as I ran around the dorm room like a lunatic "Astra THINK"

I got down on my knees checking underneath the bed, and throwing multiple pieces of clothing, that I had not put back in the drawers, away from my sight. I wasn't just late. I was VERY late. And I was not risking the embarrassment of walking in late to a lecture again. Not after last week. That's a story for another time, one that I am not willing to write down and remember for years to come.

My eyes finally caught side of the roll of camera tape I had mistakenly (most likely) dropped down the side of my bed after my stress of last nights project being mapped out on my single duvet. I grabbed the camera roll before shoving it into my bag, dragging my coat and everything else out towards the door. I mentally cursed myself as I glanced at the clock, the time happily ticking away even though the world knew I had 5 minutes to arrive. The University of New York campus was beautiful, and that was a huge understatement, yet the stress I was under that was the furthest thing off my mind.

By this point I had one hand leaning on the door handle and the other stretching to reach my lanyard that sat on the pegs, when suddenly the door flung open. My body fell forwards into another person, both of us gasping in unison as we fell. My eyes which had shut with the fall now slowly opened as I came face to face with Rita. My flat mate.

"Astra I'm so sorry, I didn't realise you were there..."

"It's fine, it's fine" I spoke, heaving my body off the floor before extending a hand and lifting her up also "I'm the late one"

I blew a strand of hair away from my face before throwing the lanyard over my head so it sat around my neck "new gym outfit?"

Rita giggled, giving me a quick spin showing off her one red piece gym suit, before her eyebrows furrowed seriously together "not eaten?"

I shook my head in response, before she grabbed the cereal bar out her jacket pocket, handing it towards me "didn't think so" she added with a quick nudge against my shoulder

"I owe you endlessly" I sang, blowing her a kiss

"And hey, Astra, stop stressing" she called out from behind me, before she disappeared behind the dorm room door.

I sped walked the entire way across the newly cut grass, dodging the occasional early morning risers, with a coffee cup in their grasp, along the way. The morning sun was just shining it's way overhead between the clouds that had seemed to cover the city for at least the past week. Eventually reaching the creative arts studio, I pushed my body weight into the door before heading down the longest corridor in history. I was still getting to grasps with locating my way to the lecture theatre, and one too many times that had landed me in the wrong room. Yet I was absolutely certain today I would not make that mistake. But oh, how my curiosity got the better of me.

The door to one of the studios was opened just a smidge, allowing me to peer my head around. Okay okay, I know what you're thinking. Why was I being SO nosy. That's just me, okay. Normally all the studios are shut at this hour. I looked across the room, from side to side, and taking in the huge mirrors that stood proudly from floor to ceiling. My instinct telling me this was for sure a dance studio, after the endless hours as a child I would spend in a room that looked identical to this. Reaching into the pocket on the front on my dungarees I checked the time on my phone. I had at least a couple of minutes to spare, what harm could that do to just look. I carefully squeezed my way into the room, avoiding moving the door before locating a corner at the back of the room with a desk and laptops. It was clearly wired to the large speakers that hung from the ceiling. Tilting my head to one side I slowly made my way over, hesitant that I was intruding way too much than I should be. Yet, now I stood, face to face with a laptop and a screen staring back at me full of videos. Hovering my hand over the mouse I paused. Would it be invading this person's privacy if I just listened to one? I breathed heavily taking the chance. Just one Astra. Then go.