35. Your puppy love is the best

Lou's POV

Two weeks have passed and school was all on again. Veronica was working day and night on her speakeasy, while I was working on getting better with body contact. 

During those weeks I grew really close with Reggie, and Sweet Pea and I started talking normally not ignoring each other was way easier for the both of us. 

"Hey Pop", I greeted the man as Kevin, Josie and I walked into the familiar diner. "Looking for Veronica? This way", Pop smiled leading us to the telephone booth thing in the back of the diner. 

"Pick up the phone, dial 642", the man instructed us. Kevin nodded and picked up the phone, dialing the numbers and waiting. "Password?", Reggie asked. "I don't know, stonewall", Kevin shrugged making me chuckle. 

Suddenly a little part of the door opened and Reggie's eyes were seen through it, "Close enough", he said and finally opened the door widely. 

"Woah", Kevin gasped as he walked in first, then Josie and then I. "Come on in", Reggie smirked. "Oh, my god", Josie mumbled. 

Reggie walked us down the long staircase while placing his hand on my back and to my surprise, I didn't flinch away. "Oh my god", I gasped as we reached the heart of the speakeasy. 

It was so nice with a little bar on the left and a stage in front of the staircase, in the middle were multiple chairs and tables as well as small booths.

"I died and went to Kander and Ebb heaven, Veronica", Kevin smiled. "Welcome to La Bonne Nuit", Veronica smiled proudly. 

I sat at the bar with Reggie while Josie and Kevin sat at a table with Veronica, discussing some business. 

"I hired some Serpents from the Whyte Wyrm to serve drinks, Mocktails only. La Bonne Nuit is not in the business of corrupting minors", V said and winked at me since I organized all the Serpents. 

"Not yet", Reggie said. 

"Josie, I need star power, I would love for you to be my resident chanteuse", Veronica smiled at the girl I felt a deep hatred towards. 

"Are you for real?", she gasped, "I have been working like whoa to find my sound now that I'm solo and I haven't had anywhere to test it out. Ohh this is the perfect opportunity".

Reggie smiled at her, clearly still having some kind of feelings towards the snitch. "And, Kevin I'd love for you to be our emcee", Veronica smiled. "So long as I can sing now and then". 

"But of course. Or as we like to say at La Bonne Nuit, mais oui", V chuckled. 

Suddenly the phone rang and Reggie picked it up, "Hey Pop, what's up?".

*

"Penny Peabody", Veronica greeted my hideous mother, "I don't think we've had the pleasure yet". 

"Now, what the hell do you want?", I hissed at my mother. "No, no, no, it's not what I want. It's what you want. Protection. The Ghoulies are offering their service for a modest price", Penny said. 

"Let me guess, Protection for you right?", V asked. "It's a nice place you got here and as above, so below. I'm guessing, maybe even nicer down there in the speakeasy? I'd hate for something bad to happen to it", Penny smirked. 

"Back off, Serpents have everything under control here, mother", I spat. "Oh, my Lou, how can you offer someone protection when you can't even protect yourself, Serpent Queen", Penny asked smirking at me taking a step closer. 

"Oh, you wanna see how well I can protect myself?", I asked through gritted teeth. 

Penny just chuckled and rolled her eyes as she got up, "Food for thought. I'll let you chew on it".