38. To the grave

Lou's POV

"You are imprisoned in the Gargoyle King's fortress. Trapped in pens, you live in fear, never knowing when his Legion of Gargoyles will descend from the sky to feed. But his guards are arrogant, you've been able to observe and study their movements and you've planned an escape", Jughead read out loud as we sat in Dilton's bunker once again.

"Roll the dice to decide your fate. Remember, it's only a game, it's not life or death. Unless of course, it is. Your mission was unsuccessful, everyone dies", Jughead finished.

We all groaned loudly by his telling. "Jug you won't believe the story my mom told me last night", Betty's voice echoed through the bunker but then she stopped as she looked at us, "Jug, what are you doing?".

"Betty it's all making sense, all of this is becoming clear. The game. The Gargoyle king. I'm on level three, it's only a matter of time until I ascend and I get to meet him", Jughead smiled at Betty psychotic.

*

After Betty threw us all out of the bunker to have some alone time with my brother we went home.

In school, Betty told me the story her mother told her. My mom and her mom were best friends and actually, my mom was dating Reggie's dad, weird shit if you ask me.

We called an emergency meeting in with Kevin, Josie and Reggie to tell them about their parents who were active players of G&G back in the day.

"Hold up, you're telling me that my mother was a rule-breaking anti-apartheid activist in high school?", Josie asked confused after Betty and I finished telling our story.

"And that she and my dad were together back then?", Kevin asked just as confused.

"I don't buy it. There's no way my old man hung out and did, like cosplay with a group of lame as nerds", Reggie shrugged.

"Okay, it's true, Reggie", I told the boy I so recently shared a kiss with. "And you want us to find out what exactly?", Josie asked leaning against the wall.

"My suspicion is that whoever was running the game back then is running it now, which is why we need to stop them before things get any worse", Betty explained.

"What are you saying? One of our parents might be responsible for what happened to Dilton and Ben?", Josie asked. "Maybe. You can't tell them that you know about their Midnight Club. You have to be careful and subtle when you ask them what they know", Betty said.

"And don't forget Hiram could also be the one since he played it too so don't assume that we think one of your parents did that", I told the group.

After the little meeting, I went out of the Blue and Gold office towards my locker. "Hey, princess", Sweet Pea said catching up with me.

"Hey Pea, back with the nicknames?", I asked chuckling as I opened my locker. "Yeah, I missed calling you that. So I was wondering if you were with Fangs and I. We wanna take this game off board you know, some groups do it", he explained as I shut my locker and turned to face the tall Serpent that was way too obsessed with this game.

"Sweets, look. Taking the game off board is going to end bad. Back in the days people died because of this you know, I don't want anything to happen to either of you", I said.

*

Sweet Pea and Fangs were outside our trailer that night, apparently, they all got kicked out of their apartment so now Toni, Fangs and Sweet Pea were living in tents in front of the Jones trailer along with the other Serpents that lost their trailers during Riot Night.

I was sitting on a stool drawing in my sketchbook as the two idiots shot arrows in the air. "Next time", Sweets laughed after Fangs didn't miss the bullseye on the tree.