Chapter 28

Song-Hozier-Sedated

Hazel's POV

It's now Tuesday and I swear I'm getting sick of it.

Every single minute I'm in my house, all I hear is shouting and yelling and cursing.

I'm sick of hearing 'You a cheater and a liar!' And 'Your an idiot!'. I just hoped they would forgive and forget but that's obviously not happening. It's gotten too far. I'm certain they're going to split up, even though that's the last thing I want to happen. I take back what I said before, my parents are never going to be okay again. I wish I didn't have to say that, or believe it, but I'll admit it.

I keep leaving the house to get away, but I can't run from my problems. Earlier I went out with Cierra and we went and got Starbucks, like the white girls we are. She texted me earlier saying 'I just got my eyebrows waxed. My eyebrows are so on flick'. She's so funny. Ah, friendship 😉

I was lying on my bed, texting Cameron.

C- 'Hey Hazel. What's up? 😘😉'

H- 'Nothing much 😐'

C- 'R ur parents still fighting?'

H- 'ya'

Then Cameron Facetimed me.

'Hazel, are you okay?' Cameron asked concerned.

It made me happy to see his face on the screen and to hear his voice. It made things kind of better.

I nodded. 'Yeah, I guess so' I shrugged.

Oh God, Hazel don't start crying again, don't cry.

'Hazel, do you want me to come over?' Cam said softly.

I shook my head.

'It's okay Cam. It's pretty late anyway'.

'Hazel, you can always call me if you need something, you know that, right?' Cameron said.

'Yeah, I know. And I will. I gotta go now Cam, I'm tired' I lied.

He nodded.

'Okay, I'll see you tomorrow' he smiled.

I fake smiled back. I loved Cam, but I wasn't in the mood to talk. I shut off my laptop and set it on my bedroom carpet.

I pulled the duvet up over my head to block out the shouting and tried to go to sleep.

Suddenly, I heard the front door slam shut and a car engine start outside.

I jumped out of bed and looked out my window. I saw my dad's car pull out of the driveway. Oh god.

I heard my mom's footsteps come upstairs and my door opened. I hadn't any time to get back into bed, so I stood by my window motionless.

My mom walked in and sat on my bed. She patted the spot next to her and I slowly sat down silently.

My moms eyes were bloodshot and her face was red and puffy. Her hair was all over the place and there was a slight bit of black mascara under her eyes. She looked a mess.

'Y-Your dad and I-I are...are divorcing, Hazel...' My mom stuttered.

Oh my god. No, this can't be happening. I thought they would but now I can't believe it. They can't do this. What about me? Where do I go? Do they even care. I guess it's all not about me. I can't believe this though. My family is broken. Broken apart and I'm left in the middle. What if I have to choose between them? Why do I do then. Oh no, I think I'm panicking. This is all happening so fast. I never wanted this to happen. I want my two parents together again. They love each other, I know it. They can't work it out.

I just realised I haven't said anything.

'M-Mom...' was all that came out.

She embraced me in a hug. I felt her damp cheek against mine. I pulled away.

'Why?' I asked, tears rolling down my cheeks.

'Because...because I cheated on your dad. Many times. I wasn't faithful and your dad deserves better' she sniffed.

'But....but you guys love each other!' I cried.

'Love is c-complicated honey' she said, bawling her eyes out.

I shook my head. I wish I was dreaming but unfortunately, I know this is 100% true.

I ran my fingers through my blonde hair.

I stood up off my bed and left my room, grabbing my Uggs and my phone on the way out. I rushed downstairs and out the door. I heard my mom calling my name behind me, but I ignored her. I just needed to be away from her. I couldn't do this.

I ran out into the fresh air. I was kind of cold so I wrapped my arms around myself. I was only in sweatpants, a tank top and a sweater. And my uggs.

I went to the only place I could go.

Cameron's.

He said if I ever needed him, I could go to him. And I trusted him with my life. He didn't live that far away, so it only took 3 minutes to get to his house.

I knocked on the door and waited for a response. Cam opened the door, shirtless and wearing sweatpants. He took one look at me and pulled me into a tight hug, lifting me off the floor. I wrapped my legs around his waist and cried into his shoulder. He didn't even need an explanation. If I needed him, he was there.

'My parents...are..b-breaking up...' I sobbed.

He rubbed my back and held me close.

'It's okay. I'm here' he whispered.

He carried me up the stairs and into his room. He gently laid me on the bed and sat there next to me, holding my hands.

I lay there, letting the damp tears escape my eyes.

'T-They're never going to be together again. My m-mom cheated on my dad' I cried.

He stroked my hair and held me close to his chest.

'I know it's sad Hazel. But you can't expect them to live with each other when they're not getting along' he softly said.

I nodded, understanding.

He didn't say anything else as neither did I. It wasn't even an awkward silence. We just lay there, me crying and Cam stroking my hair. I felt happy in his arms, safe, protected, glad.

'I love you..' I mumbled.

'I love you too Hazel' he whispered back.