The Full Story

I quickly took my shirt off, sitting there in only my bra. I balled up the shirt and pressed it extremely hard against his wound. He winced at the pain and my shirt slowly became soaked in blood. I grabbed his hand with my free one and looked at his face. He looked genuinely scared, dropping his emotionless front. "Jeff, are you okay?" I asked. He seemed really out of it, but held my hand back. "I'm scared, Y/N," he told me. "I know you are. But it's okay, I'm right here," I said, feeling tears begging to come out. He shook his head weakly and looked at me. "There's things I want you to know about my past," he told me. "Okay. Well you have to stay with me to tell me," I said. He nodded, agreeing to discuss it later. He looked like he was going to fall asleep so I slapped him. "Fuck. I've already been shot, now you're slapping me?" he asked with his signature sarcastic humor. "I need you to stay awake," I said with a smile. "Oh trust me, with a view like this I'm very awake," he replied. I chuckled, impressed with his ability to make jokes in the face of death. "JACK! I NEED YOU!" I turned around and yelled. He had just finished fighting and made his way over to us. He tried to ignore my lack of clothing and looked at his best friend. "Shit, Jeff," he replied, taking the shirt from my hand. He moved it momentarily to look. "Okay, the bullet didn't hit anything important, but it's probably still in there and you're bleeding pretty badly," Jack told us. "Oh really? I didn't notice," Jeff replied. "Shut up, smartass," Jack said. "Okay, I'm not strong enough to carry you back," Jack admitted. "I'll do it," someone said. I turned around and saw Laughing Jack smiling. He was extremely tall and looked pretty strong, so I figured that would work. I still thought he was terrifying, even though I had talked to him a little bit more. Jack took off his sweatshirt and used the sleeves to tightly secure my shirt to his side. "Is everyone just playing dress up with me now?" he asked sarcastically. L.J. leaned down and picked Jeff up very easily, as if he weighed nothing. Everyone started to walk back to the mansion, except Slender who was standing in front of the building with matches. "May I?" I asked as I approached him. I startled him a bit, but he held the matches out to me. I took them and lit one, dropping it on the front door. The building slowly caught fire, then erupted into a large burst of flames. I shielded my face as I started walking away. 

       "Nice work today," he complimented as we rejoined the grouped. I was glad he chose to avoid bringing up my current outfit. "Thank you," I responded, glancing up at Jeff. "He's a strong one," he said. "Jeff?" I asked. "Yes. He is rarely ever injured," he told me. "He's quite talented, I guess," I replied. "It makes him very valuable to me," he said. "So, people's value is just how good of a fighter they are?" I questioned. "No, not necessarily. I have to manage a house that they all get to stay and this is our job, so their skills matter to me. But I love all my children," he explained. I nodded and glanced at Laughing Jack. "As you kids say, I 'ship' you and Jeff," he said randomly. I nearly choked on air but smiled and nodded. 

* * * * 

       Jack, Jeff, and I were the only ones in the basement. Jack was working on getting the bullet out of Jeff and stitching him up. I was sitting next to Jeff, staring at him. "Stop staring, I'm fine," he said. "Oh sure. That's coming from the king of staring. Need I remind you that you constantly stare?" I asked sassily. He smirked and looked over at Jack. There was a bit of tension between the two of them and I don't think they had talked since what happened. Jack worked in silence. "Okay, you're good Jeff. Just don't do anything stupid and let me know if it hurts," Jack instructed. He left us alone and I looked at Jeff. I had no clue what to say so I just held his hand. He laced our fingers together and wasn't sure what to say either. "I'm sorry about Charlotte," he finally said. "I'm sorry about Jack," I replied. It was an odd thing because we didn't really cheat on each other, but it almost felt like we had. "I've been going crazy not talking to you," he told me. I raised an eyebrow and he laughed. "Yeah, whatever. I'm serious," he said. "I hated it too, I was just really mad," I said. "I know. I deserved it," he said. I leaned down and kissed him softly, missing the feeling of his lips on mine. I pulled away and kept face close to his. "I'm in love with you, Y/N, and I don't want to screw things up with you," he told me. That was the moment when I got the final confirmation about his feelings for me and I started crying. He sat up slowly, wincing from pain. "Did I say something wrong?" he asked, slightly panicked. "No, not at all. I'm just happy and I didn't think you were in love with me," I replied, wiping away my pathetic tears. "Why wouldn't I be?" he asked. "I don't know. Being in love and loving someone are two different things," I said. "I know," he said. I carefully laid my head on his shoulder, avoiding his bad side.