The Man With Pink Hair

He stared at me, like a predator.

I stared back, like his prey.

In that moment, I couldn't exactly process what was going on, my throat was dry, my knees were trembling, and I had no idea who - or what - I was looking at. One moment I was alone, the next, there was this... Man.

Before all this, it was just another normal day, until the sky turned pink and a per- actually no, I wouldn't call it a person, No human should ever have the power to do what that thing did - a demon became loose.

Now, well, the towns are alright, but the sky turned black, the sea turned pink and stung you when you tried to swim in it, and most of the townspeople became mindless. Violent. Silent. Pink.

I thought I was safe in this cave. I had been for a day or two.

And then he showed up.

Even in the darkness and dampness of this stuffy cave deprived of oxygen, his eyes seemed to glow and stared right at me.

One was pink, one was black.

One by one, his footsteps came closer. He knew I was there, his gaze was fixated on my eyes and glared deep into my soul. I saw a pair of sharp, white teeth bare themselves at me in a toothy grin that had an intention behind them that just didn't sit right with me. His boots clacked and splashed against the wet, cold cave floor emitting a metal-like soft clanging noise from an unknown source as well, and his eyes seemed to register an interest of sorts, as if I was some kind of animal he had never seen before.

He stopped.

A moment of silence between us passed, only sound being the ambience of the pouring rain outside. Why did he stop? Did he stop to check if there really was a person there? No, he knew I was there, he never broke eye contact. Can he hear my breathing? I can't control it, so I really hope to god that he can't tell how fast it is.

He started walking again.

Before I could stop myself, I blurted out

"D-Don't come any closer"

'Why shouldn't I?' He taunted as he stepped closer, faster this time.

"Are-are-are you gonna hurt me?"

'Well, depends on what you do next, Sweetheart.'

At that moment, shivers ran down my spine. Nobody had ever called me Sweetheart before.

"Who are you?"

'Who am I? Aaaaw, that's adorable.' He teased. At this point, he stood still in front of me, a black silhouette against the seemingly faraway light of the cave mouth, with two mismatched eyes glaring down at me with an interest in them. Now that there's a dangerous-looking man standing right in front of me in a dark, cramped cave, the mouth seemed miles away. In this moment I finally register in how big he is, and other details I couldn't see clearly while he wasn't as close. He's well over six foot, his limbs and torso were bulging with muscle, making me more uneasy. He had something on his head that looked like a pair of horns, and whatever they were, they almost grazed the ceiling he was so large. He looked a little older but still around my age, I'd say about around 19 or 20 or so. He was wearing a leather jacket of sorts with the collar up, and his hair was pink. 'Who I am doesn't matter to you, now, how 'bout you step out into the light so I can see your pretty face better? I'm surprised you're not screaming bloody murder and trying to kill me right now.'

I gulped.

I felt cornered. Uncomfortable. Like a deer staring right into the eyes of a lion about to pounce and devour it alive. He was a predator and I'm 99% sure that I'm the prey here.

"Don't hurt me"

'I'm nooooooot, trust me, as long as you don't make me think that you're more of a threat than I think you are, I swear, my hands will stay away from you.'

"And how much of a threat do you think I am?"

'More harmless than a fly.'

"And how much of a threat to me are you?"

'C'mon Butterfly, I told you, my hands will stay away from you as long as you don't appear to be a threat to me.' he chortled, taking his hands out of his pockets and holding them out beside him, showing that he didn't have any concealed weapons.

Something didn't sit right with me about him. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something's off.

"Don't call me that."

'Butterfly?'

"Yeah. That."

'Okay Butterfly, I won't call you Butterfly anymore, okay Butterfly?'

"Who even ARE you?" I snapped.

'Whoever you want me to be, your Prince Charming, a murderer, just another dude, et cetera.'

"Can-can I leave now?"

'To where? It's raining cats and dogs outside, this cave's the safest place in a hundred miles.'

"Anywhere but here, you're scaring me." I blurted out, only realising how blunt and mean it sounded when it was too late.

'Aw, I'm scaring you?' He feigned a whine. 'I'm sorry, is it became I'm bigger and stronger than you?'

"Your head is almost touching the ceiling, you have horns, there's some... thing out there that's turning people into pink, mindless monsters, your arms are almost as big as my thighs and could probably crush me in an instant - you tell me."

He laughed a hearty, roaring, loud laugh that bounced off the cave walls in continuous echoes, so loud my ears started ringing.

Then he strode up to me and sat right. Beside. Me.

"There." He smiled. His teeth were sharp and inches away from mine. One of his eyes had a massive scar over it, "Better? I'm not as big as I was standing up now, am I?"

'N-no...' I stuttered. His pink shirt underneath the leather jacket was ripped at the top and bottom of his ribcage, revealing abs. I can't stop staring at them.

"Hey, my eyes are up here." He retorted, sniggering.

And then I realised what felt so wrong about him.

He was dry.

It was raining so hard outside the raindrops felt like bullets, and he didn't have a single drop on him at all. He was bone dry, almost as if he had never stepped outside.

"Why... are you dry?"

'Huh?'

"It's raining outside, how are you dry?"

He smiled. "I have my ways"

"What... are you?'

'What am I?'

"I don't exactly think that you're human? You have horns, your eyes are different colours, you're dry..."

He laughed that roaring laugh of his. Now that I'm right next to him, that laugh was so loud I think the rain became quieter.

"Why," he began "Aren't you the smart one."

My heart sank at those words. When I looked into those mismatched eyes, I felt a dread wash over me. They had a predatory gaze, like the sort of look you would see in a murderer's eyes just as he was about to kill a victim.

'Are you what's turning people into those... things? Are you what turned the sky pink, and-and all that? Are you gonna hurt me?'

"First off, it's called 'Corrupting' people, and second-"

Before I let him finish, I took a bolt for it.