11th-Hour Superpower

Many times, as the hero is facing his darkest hour before The Climax and final battle, he's rewarded one final gift from fate that gives him the strength to see through his quest. Exactly how such a thing manifests varies widely: Perhaps it was triggered by The Power of Love or The Power of Friendship (or at least some good heroic resolve). Note that where video games are concerned, if the superpower is a new gameplay ability or Power-Up for the character acquiring it, it is often purposely Overpowered.

Expert from TVTropes about the "11th-Hour Superpower"

They say that someone's death doesn't hit straight away. They say that makes you feel icy cold and empty, before suddenly plunging you in a river where the current overcomes you and leaves you drowning. They say that the water somehow feels both icy cold and searing hot at the same time. Trist was always smiling, maybe not excitedly, but still warmly and peacefully. But now not a single hint of colour of left in his cheeks. The world around him spun as he tried to accept what just happened. But who the hell can just instantly recover from watching two of his best friends die right in front of him?

And now, Trist, Skye and Neptune can only stare up at the four bodies hanging from the entrance to the tower in shock.

For Neptune, he just stared at the bodies hanging up above wondering to himself how they died. As a merman who spent his entire life under the sea, he never had the ability to smell things above water. He can definitely "smell" the difference between seawater and freshwater, and can tell the general direction of a dying shark, but in this situation, he can only look at Skye and Trist's pale faces as he tried to imagine how bad it must be.

For Skye, she had once come across the decomposing body of a man who got lost deep in the woods. The smell felt like the grim reaper had personally punched her in the face. She remembered that one she and her co-workers came across the body she almost vomited and the image of his face rotten away by death was forever burnt into her mind. This reminded her so heavily of that man that it wasn't even okay as she collapsed and tried not to vomit.

For Trist, it was the worst feeling that he had ever felt in his entire life. Worse than his suicide attempt. Worse than those cold nights with nothing but a blanket that did nothing to keep him warm. Worse than Austin. Hell, it felt even worse than Close to me. He clenched his fists as his whole body shook. This was all too excessive... Too brutal... As if slicing Pi's throat, throwing Quin off a tower, doing.... that to what he assumed was Lumina and slowly killing Tetra before his very eyes wasn't enough, he hung their bodies up outside of his tower as a warning or possibly even a trophy. It was almost as if their bodies radiated a darkness so deep that tendrils of it squeezed at his heart.

Pi's once radiant smile was nowhere to be seen as the artificial, bloody one that had been carved into her neck smiled hauntingly down at the world below. Dried blood oozed down her throat and staining parts of her iconic hoodie. Her luminous aura would never shine again. No matter how badly Trist wanted it back.

Trist remembered the moment he witnessed Quin's body fall to the ground in front of him. The crack that emitted from his spine was sickening. As Trist stared up at the whites of his eyes, the sound of his spine breaking played over and over again in his mind. It wouldn't stop. His entire body looked like it was boneless, like it was made from jelly.

The body that he assumed had belonged to Lumina had it the worst. The corpse that hung in front of his eyes looked like a regurgitated liver that was enlarged hundredfold. When he looked at where her face should be, Trist managed to spot a few golden strands of hair among the tainted red ones. That's Lumina alright...