The Snake Woman

The woman in the doorway was tall, not as tall as Fresh but still taller than I am, she was obviously corrupted, with the pink hair and pink skin. Her hair was neck-length with a part of it covering her right eye, and she had pink eyeliner, more specifically an Eye of Horus decorating the part of her face that was exposed. Strangely enough, unlike the other Corrupted, she didn't seem to have black, gaping holes for eyes that bled black ink, they were like Fresh's pink eye, wide, round and filled with a sentient evil. Human-like, but not quite there. She was also covered head to toe in bandages like a mummy, fitting her form tightly - was it the only thing she was wearing? They were fading from black to pink.

But what shocked me the most was the thing on her shoulders.

A long, black and pink Serpent.

It was real, as it hung close to her body like a scarf and poked its head up curiously. It flicked its tongue at Fresh, almost like a greeting. All along its body was a triangular pattern, black against its otherwise pink body.

"That's the one you bought in?" She said, eyeing me. Unlike the rest of the corrupted, and like Fresh, she could speak and had a mind of her own. She didn't smile, just regarded me with a curiosity and possibly cautiousness.

'Hm? That's (Y/N), (Y/N), this is Barracuda, my Lieutenant. She's one of my strongest soldiers.'

"Hi-Hi Barracuda"

'Why isn't she Corrupted, Fresh?' She turned towards her king, asking the question with a disappointment of sorts.

"Because I'm a king, and a king can do whatever the fuck he wants, Honey." He smirked back. "You hungry?"

'No, I ate before I came here. So did this little guy.'

"Sit down, 'Cuda"

Why was he calling her Honey? She doesn't seem all that interested in him, and he calls me Butterfly and other names, so is it just a thing he does to people - women specifically? Call them Sweetheart and other syrupy names?

She sat down opposite me, and I saw that on the sides of her headphones was a triangle split into three parts horizontally - like a Pyramid. She looked almost bored. The snake regarded me curiously, and I couldn't blame it since it has never seen me before. It visibly stiffened and started flicking its tongue more often, but she just pet it, muttering soothing words to it, and it seemingly calmed down.

'What's up?'

"Came to check up on the girl. Last time I saw her she had a head injury and was knocked out."

'Ah, well, she's doing fine, are you?'

"I'm okay" I fiddled with my thumbs.

Barracuda nodded. 'Okay? Well, that's good.'

"Tea, Ladies?" Fresh didn't exactly strike me as the kind of guy who'd like tea. Maybe he was asking for us? I did tell him that I like tea.

'I'll pass.' Barracuda said, holding up a manicured hand. Pink, of course. 'I thought you didn't like tea?'

'What kind?' My eyes lit up.

"Any kind you want, Butterfly."

Barracuda's eyebrow raised at the word Butterfly. Shortly afterwards, she looked at the other of us with a look on her face that suggested amusement.

'Camomile with Honey?'

Fresh smiled, summoned a servant, and ordered a cup of tea for me. She left the room and returned a few minutes later with a tray, on it a teapot with a teabag leaking out, a little bowl of honey with a spoon and an empty cup. As soon as the tray was set in front of me, I thanked her and started helping myself.

The hot nectar was sweet and delicious, filling my heart with a warmth that I had missed dearly. At this point I had forgotten that Fresh was some kind of evil demon king, due to how nice he treated me. I didn't care. He gave me good fried chicken and then this lovely tea. You can tame any animal and any savage with good food.

I felt like a Queen.

During all this, Fresh was just staring at me, watching me drink my tea with a toothy smile on his face. Barracuda just looked at him weirdly. Of course, I couldn't blame her, why would he be watching me drink my tea? Is it really that entertaining? I'm sure those were the same questions running through her head right now.

"Um, Barracuda?"

'Yes, (Y/N)?' She turned towards me.

"What's its name?" I gestured towards the snake. When I said those words it cocked its head sideways, almost as if it knew I was talking about it.

'Equil'

"Equil?"

'I like snakes. They're quite underrated animals, most people seem to think of them as poisonous, dangerous, heartless predators, but they're in reality really cute and just like a dog or a cat or any other mainstream pet if you're nice enough to them.'

"How many do you have?"

'Twelve. There's Illy, Pharaoh, Isa, Scal, Luna, Angel, Dorito, Nati, Pizza, Layley, and Pyrrha. I've had Equil the longest so he follows me everywhere. He's like a dog.'

"Is it Corrupted?"

Barracuda didn't say anything, she just looked at Equil. After a few seconds, Equil nodded its head up and down as if saying "Yes I am Corrupted"
'It can understand what I can say?'

"Yep" She smiled, finally. "Since he's Corrupted now, he can understand human speech to a certain degree. He can't speak, duh, but he can listen. He's a great listener."

'Um, excuse me' Fresh interrupted. 'Have I just become some kind of third wheel now?'

"I'm not sure if you can agree or not, but in my opinion (Y/N) would make a much better company than you."

'R-Really?' I mumbled. I glanced at Fresh and he looks almost hurt.

"The only other company I have is those Corrupted, and they can't speak. My snakes can't talk either and Fresh's a Dick, so I'm relieved to finally find company."

'Hey!' Fresh yelled out over that part about him. 'Don't call me a dick in front of (Y/N)!'

He's a King. She's a Lieutenant. He should be ordering an execution for her right now, he has every right to, and instead he's whining like She's his mom. If maybe every king in History was like this, the world might be a better place.

'You're an asshole.' Fresh mumbled.

"You're a blockhead." Barracuda retorted.

'You can't tell left from right.'

"You still wet the bed."

'You can't count.'

"You still drink your mama's breast milk."

God I love this dynamic.

I started laughing, and the two of them looked at me. Barracuda regarded me with an indifference while Fresh, on the other hand, looked at me with a look of pride on his face, almost as if he was saying "Oh my god I made her laugh!" I then realised that this was the first time I had laughed in front of him.

"She's not wrong, you are a dick, Fresh" I snorted.

'Love ya too, Sweetheart.'

Barracuda let Equil slither free for a little while, and he eagerly took this opportunity to slide down the table, exploring the place, roaming free and getting some exercise. Whilst he was doing that, the three of us talked for a while, and I learned that Barracuda was a college student studying applied mathematics.

It felt nice

It felt like I had finally made some friends

Until when Barracuda asked for a glass of water, and Fresh called a Corrupted in.

The moment he did, however, my heart sank.

The Corrupted that entered the room was my very own best friend.