One-Winged Angel

One-Winged Angel

Classic Big Bads have the tendency, when push comes to shove, to turn into big honking monsters. A Mad Scientist in a fit of urgency might down his own Psycho Serum, or a practitioner of Black magic might mutate himself into an Eldritch Abomination, or... you get the idea. Bets are good they'll become way more bloated, ugly, or plain disfigured. And with this new form, their power increases immensely. This indicates that the villain means business and it's time for the heroes need to get cracking.

Expert from TVTropes about the "One-Winged Angel"

"(Y/N), are you okay? You look... really on edge... like, really." Mordecai cocked his head to the side as he looked behind at me as we were walking up the stairs to the tower.

'I'm fine... I'm really fine, it's just... does it smell strange to you?' I responded. I honestly felt like there was this invisible heavy mist that was crushing my insides. I don't know if it was because I've never been in this part of the tower before, or the fact that something really bad happened in these halls, but I did not have a good feeling. It even smells slightly metallic, and it might be just me, but the lighting was much darker and more eerie.

"Now that you mention it..." Mordecai raised his nose to smell the air. "It... does smell kinda weird... What happened?"

'You're asking me.' Barracuda shrugged. She seemed awfully calm about this. But then again, she is awfully calm about most things.

We just reached the top of the stairs when we saw something strange. An open doorway somewhere along the hall was blocked off by bright yellow and black signs saying "KEEP OUT". I was just about to express my confusion, when all of a sudden I noticed a slightly unnoticeable but large smudge along the floor of the hallway. Like something large and bloody was dragged across it. When the three of us investigated the open room, I noticed that it was a normal bedroom, with a small, comfortable bed in the corner, sparkling chandelier, a wooden bedside drawer, and a large pool of dark red liquid in the middle.

"What... the fuck..." Mordecai whispered, shaking. "Is... Is that Blood...?"

'It is.' Barracuda responded, cold and nonchalant tone of voice completely contrasting Mordecai's shaking, unstable one. 'Even smells like it.'

"How the hell are you so calm?"

Barracuda smiled coldly. 'You'd be surprised.'

Mordecai shot a side look at me that read "Wtf", and I just shrugged. Barracuda just left the room. I stared at the pool of blood.

What... Happened while I was gone? Was this why Fresh didn't want me to even look at the tower? Jesus Christ, this has to be a joke... What happened to the four of them? Is... Is that their blood? Fresh wouldn't do something like that, he would never! At least I hope. I swallowed and clenched my fist. What is this? And I never thought that I would ever think this again, but I actually ended up doubting Fresh's true character. I just mentally slapped myself. He's a kind person. He's a kind person. He's a kind person.

I mean, he did kill some people, but that's only because they deserved it.

...

Right?

"(Y/N)?" Mordecai nudged my shoulder. "Should we leave now?"

It took me a few seconds to gather my thoughts together and answer his question. "Y-Yeah, sure..."