The Castle

"Hey! Where're you going?"

Away from that monster I thought, knowing that he wouldn't hear me.

I was running through the woods like there was no tomorrow. The trees above me were thick enough to lessen the impact of the rain of bullets, but they still drenched me. My hair plastered itself to my face, blocking my vision and roots and rocks littered themselves across the uneven ground. Mud drenched my shoes, making every step let out a disgusting SQUELCH, not exactly the best thing to have when you're running from something. It was at this point that I realised that the trees weren't white anymore. The leaves were withering, even though it's spring, and turning... Pinkish. Speaking of which, I don't see the Tree of Life anywhere...?

I watched my friends no longer recognise me as they stalked the streets, going after any innocent victims which they then dragged away to some unknown destination. The next time I saw those unlucky enough to fall victim to those "Corrupted", as that man said, they were just like their assaulters. Silent. Pink. Mindless. Violent. Their eyes were black and bled ink-like matching blood. Their hair all turned hot pink just like that man's, skin also pinkish. In fact, they all ended up looking very much like him, just that that man seemed to be the only one with a free mind. He must be their master. Their king. I am not becoming one of them. I am not even coming close to those things.

Well, it seems that the universe just loves to make fun of me at every opportunity because just as I thought that, I saw the glimpse of a pink head filled with long hair and I knew that it was one of those "Corrupted".

I swore under my breath and tried to run faster, but the sounds of extra footsteps and leaves crunching told me that any attempt to escape the horde of Corrupted behind me will be futile.

Now that I think about it, I really should've stayed behind in that cave with that man. He was right, it was the safest place in a hundred miles. I hated to admit it, but I cursed myself for not staying in there - I'd rather a quick corruption that's over before I would've realised what was going on instead of a long chase and a painful fight filled in vain, like I'm a antelope and they're a pack of lions.

I felt a hand grasp my bicep.

I immediately tried to shake it off. But once that was free, more was there to take its place.

No

Nonononono

Nonononononononononono

Not like this

Not like this

Not like this

I felt helpless as more and more hands grabbed my arms and body, slowing me down until I finally collapsed. I finally let out a scream after those painful moments of silence, but even that was momentary when-

THUD

I felt something hard hit my noggin, and I just collapsed, limp on the ground. I'm not sure if it was a tree root or a rock. I taste mud. Everything's blurry and fuzzy. The ground was slimy and cold and I wanted to get up but it felt like there were sandbags sitting on my back like hens.

I can't breathe

With a head injury and an unknown but heavy number of Corrupted on top of me, I started to see the black edges of my vision crawl closer to the centre until I'm sure I'm almost unconscious.

And then, I heard a familiar laugh, and another pair of footsteps in the mud approach. The man from the cave, or so it seems since I couldn't see him - only hear his voice, leaned close to me and said "Sweet Dreams"