Hot and Cold

"So, Sweetheart, how do you like it?" Fresh stood in the doorway, leaning against the wooden doorframe and smiling.

Fresh took me to a room that's somewhat like his own, except cleaner, smaller, and tidier. Those details I recognise secondhand - right now my eyes are open in awe as I gaze around my new bedroom, taking in every detail about the place. The bed was just like Fresh's, a four poster bed with a pile of soft pillows that sank under your hand when you pressed it. The bedcovers were soft and thick, with a fluffy blanket that I instantly fell in love with the moment I laid down. There was a White stuffed bear resting on the cloud of pink, waiting patiently for me to just pick it up and shower it in cuddles. There was a dresser in the corner, much like Fresh's own one. The curtains were black, though it may seem to be more for aesthetic purposes since the sky outside was a constant dark murky sea. However, my room itself was lit by a mini chandelier the size of a yoga ball dangling from the ceiling.

"You like it? It's where you're gonna sleep, can't have you sleeping in my bed forever."

'I love it!' I responded, grin reaching from ear to ear. The warmth in my heart has returned again - I didn't want it to leave.

I turned to face him "Thanks Fresh-"

I was interrupted by a single pink rose in my face. Fresh smiled sheepishly, like he was shy, and bowed slightly when he presented it to me.

"There's a garden nearby, thought you'd like it.

'You went down and picked it yourself?' I felt my voice breaking as all sense left me - the only thing left in my heart was a feeling that was hard to process and even harder to describe. It was like embarrassment, but not quite, I enjoyed the feeling. I could feel a tightness in my chest, I loved it.

"Well, if I sent a Corrupted down there instead, that'll take the whole point away, right?"

I took the rose in my hands, and when I did, my pinkie finger brushed against his index finger. The touch seemed to widen his smile a little bit, though I didn't pay too much attention, I was far too engrossed in the rose. It was the first time anyone had given me flowers, I wanted to save it. The rose itself was just as pink as Fresh and all of the other Corrupted, while the stem itself was black. It was a beautiful contrast, from the bright, beautiful bold pink and the dull, obsidian, silent black. It gave off a romantic perfume that immediately charmed me. Nobody had done anything like this before, Fresh was the first, and possibly only, one.

"Thank you" I whispered.

'My pleasure.' He smiled back.

Soon enough, he had to leave the castle for business of some sort, leaving me alone. The fire in my chest that was the thrill of receiving such a lovely gift had died down into embers, but they were still warm and hot. I wanted to keep it, to preserve it, so I called a Corrupted with a bird on her headphones, asked for a flower vase of any kind, and she came back with a curvaceous glass flower vase. I filled it up with water from my bathroom sink, and placed the rose in it. It looked so peaceful, and I wanted to preserve the moment so I took my phone and took a picture of it. And as much as I adored the picture of Dumpling sleeping on a gigantic cushion, I set the home screen to that simple picture of the rose.

I smiled widely and collapsed in my bed.

After a while browsing through Tumblr (Even though there weren't any new posts for obvious reasons), a Corrupted servant knocked on my door. Shortly afterwards, the Corrupted who entered was none other than Mordecai himself.

"Wassup" He greeted me.

'This dick.'

"Glad to see you're still (Y/N)."