41: Hospital Gowns

Avery's view

I wake up with a pounding sensation in my head, I slowly open eyes and look side to side, but I don't recognize where I am. I start to panic and I shift around and gather in my surrounding.

I'm in a hospital room?

Why am in in a hospital room? What happened?

I try to sit up and a wave of nausea hits me suddenly. "This feels horrible," I mumble.

"What?" someone says from the right side of the room?

I look over in the direction of the voice and see Ezra sitting in the chair. She rubs her eyes and blinks a couple of times; I guess I woke her up. Her eyes adjust and she looks at me in shock, she probably wasn't expecting me to be awake this early.

"AVERY!" she gasps getting up from the chair and immediately coming to my side. She embraces me in an awkward hug. It's pretty hard to efficiently hug someone who is lying down in a hospital bed, but it makes me happy that she tried.

"Are you okay? Do you want me to get a nurse or the doctor?" she asks. I can tell she is so worried about me, her eyebrows are scrunched, she is still wearing the dress from last night, and her hair is messy from sleeping on the chair.

"No, don't worry. I'm okay. Well, somewhat okay. I have a horrible headache," I reply.

"That's probably the side effects of the drug that Sophie and Francis gave you," Ezra explains.

I look at her in shock, "THEY GAVE ME WHAT?"

"Right, I need to explain everything to you. It's a long crazy story," she says sitting down on the bed next to me.

"Sophie wanted to get back at us, so she teamed up with Francis to drug you and get pictures of you kissing Sophie so that we would break up. However, the police found pictures on Sophie's phone. You weren't kissing Sophie in any pictures. The idiot accidentally took pictures of herself unzipping your dress. The police arrested her and Francis."

"Wait a minute, how did I get saved? I don't remember anything. I don't remember seeing Sophie," I say in disbelief.

"That's the side effect of the drug, you can't remember anything. And, my mom actually came to the rescue. She beat up Sophie pretty badly. My mom shattered that bitch's nose," Ezra adds.

"Well shit. I missed a lot. I'm glad that bitch got what she deserved," I reply.

"Woah, you just cursed, twice," Ezra says smirking at me. "Got to admit, you still look hot, even in a hospital gown."

"Don't even start with that smirk," I say pointing my finger at her. "I'm hooked up to an IV, that means it will be hard to make out. Plus, I don't want the doctors coming in thinking I'm having a heart attack, when in reality it's just my girlfriend turning me on," I say.

"Come on, that sounds fun," Ezra teases as she grabs my chin to pull me in for a kiss.

I immediately pull away and she pouts. "Hey, I promise we can continue our make out later. Just as soon as I get out of the hospital and back home, you can rip this hospital gown right off of me."

Ezra starts smirking again, "Pinkie swear?" she asks.

I chuckle and hold up my pinkie to intertwine with hers, "Pinkie swear," I repeat.

"Also, you're parents already know about everything that happened. They stayed here all night, but I told them they should go home to change and eat," Ezra adds.

"Thank you," I reply.

"Now, tell me. Where is your mom, I need to thank her," I add.

Ezra's smile falters a little. "She's in intensive care now. She's really sick. She was on alcohol withdrawal."

"Will she be okay?" I ask.

"The doctors think so. They say that she was lucky this time. Next time she might not be," she replies.

"Maybe you should go see her then," I suggest.

"I don't know," she replies looking away from me.

"I doubt you two really got to talk. You should try to talk to her, find out what she really wanted to tell you so badly. Maybe she wants to start over? What if this was her wakeup call? What if she changes after this?"

"I don't know, Avery. My mom hasn't changed in a long time."

"You'll never know if you don't at least hear her out," I advise.

Ezra sighs and rests her head on my shoulder, "I guess you're right."

We sit in silence and Ezra grabs my hand to intertwine our hands together. "I was so worried for you. I thought I might lose you. I didn't know what was happening to you," she blurts out after a few more minutes.

"Hey. I'm okay. You're not going to lose. Not now, not ever. You're going to have to put up with me for a long time, because I'm not going anywhere," I reply before leaning in to kiss her.

"I love you," she whispers.

"I love you too," I reply. We lean our foreheads against each other's and stay like that for a while until we both drift off to sleep peacefully.

----------------------------------------

Ezra's view

I wake up a few hours later and look over to see Avery sleeping in my arms. I smile at her and kiss her forehead before softly moving her aside. I slowly get up and pull the blanket over her and walk out of the room, closing the door quietly behind me.

Avery is right. I need to talk to me mom. I have been putting this off for far too long. It's time that I hear her out.

But I'm just so afraid. What if she doesn't want to change? What if she is the same as always?

What if she just breaks my heart even more?

Can I take hearing my mom say horrible things to me again?

I walk closer and closer to my mom's hospital room. I extend my hand to twist the doorknob, but I freeze.

I'm too scared.

I don't want to be hurt again.

But what if she really does want to fix things?

Then again the last time she talked, she mentioned money. Maybe that's what she is after?

That can't be true though. If she was there last night for just money, she would have left when I told her to go. But, she stayed to help Avery. That's so unlike her. She never helps anyone.

I need to find out why she was looking for me. So, I finally turn the doorknob and enter the room.

---------------------

Author note: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One chapter left!!!!! Plus an epilogue though!

Almost crying here because I'll be saying bye to my characters soon.

Next update will be next Wednesday.

Check out my other gay stories, Secret Santa and Unraveling Who we Are.