34: LIKE SOME KIND OF WEREWOLF

Of course my first instinct is to turn and locate the source of the voice, forgetting that tonight, my name is supposed to be Elizabeth Walker.

My eyes bulge to the size of saucers when they fix on Ethan, staring at me and I watch the expressions play on his face like a slideshow; surprise, confusion, realization, shock, anger.

"Ethan" I instantly stand up and try to move towards him but that is halted by the fact that Brandon is seated between us and gives me a warning glare.

"Don't" his voice is dangerously low, warning me not to jeopardize the mission but right now, all I can think about is taking every little misconception out of Ethan's head and wiping the expression on his face away.

Ethan's gaze takes in the table, Brandon's challenging stare, Maria and Chris's confused gazes, then my deer caught in headlights look.

"Wow" he breathes, "And you had the nerve to be jealous about Phoebe?"

"Ethan" I start, "I can explain"

"Explain what Dylan?" his voice is strained and pained and it hurts me, "Explain that you were too busy to go on a date because you already had plans, is this what you've been standing me up for? Is he your boyfriend?"

My eyes widen in horror, "Oh my God Ethan no, he isn't"

Brandon let's out a sharp hiss and stands up, "Actually, I am" he turns to me and if I were a lesser being, I'd shrivel up under the glare he sends me, "We'll talk about this later, but for now can you please tell your boy toy to excuse us? He's ruining our date"

I gasp, "You bastard"

Ethan coughs, "Have a good night Dylan"

With another glare, he stalks out of the diner, his head hung low.

I make a move to follow him but Brandon grips my wrists and jerks me back violently, "What do you think you're doing?"

I glare at him, "What does it look like I'm doing?"

"It looks like you're about to sit back down and not fuck this mission up any further" he says lowly, daring me to contradict him.

I don't care however, I'm not about to let my relationship with Ethan go to shit for the likes of Brandon Perrez, mission or no.

I cock my head to the side, "Whatever do you mean, Brandon?"

He grits his teeth and releases my wrists turning back to the couple in front of us who are by now piecing everything together.

"Christopher, Maria" he sighs, ignoring their shocked expressions, "I hope you'll forgive us, tonight wasn't supposed to go like this but my partner is a selfish bitch that can't take simple instructions"

I roll my eyes as I palm the table, "So are we fighting? Are you coming with us willingly?"

Maria's eyes turn hard and I watch as she grips the fork next to her plate, I exhale, "They always choose the hard way out"

I tilt to the side as she lunges for me with the fork, trying to claw my eyes out. I grab her wrist over the table and yank her forward, "Let's make this as quick as possible please? I have to go after him, he's not my boyfriend but I really want him to be, think you can understand that?"

She hisses and slaps me hard with her other hand, I curse before slamming her head down into my lasagna.

From my peripheral vision, I see several customers leaving in a frenzied panic and notice that Brandon and Chris are out of the booth and full on throwing themselves around like rag dolls.