37: BAD MANNERS AND CHEAP GIFTS

"Hi" I breathe as Ethan looks up at me.

His eyes widen as he takes in my appearance, I smoothen the front of the blue tail dress nervously, waiting for his verdict "Woah. You even wore heels"

I lean heavily against the door, "And that means you're my support for the whole night"

He smiles and steps over the threshold to wrap me in his arms, "You look beautiful" he whispers in my ear and I blush furiously under all the makeup Sophie caked unto my face.

"You too" I tell him.

He smirks as he pulls back, "I've always wanted to be called beautiful"

I laugh and swat his nose, "you know what I mean"

He chuckles, "Are you ready to go"

"Just a minute"

I wobble back to grab my purse and the bouquet of red roses.

Ethan raises a brow, "You got me flowers?"

I roll my eyes, "Not you idiot, your mother. Do you think she'll like it?"

He smiles, "She'll love it"

Throughout the entire drive, I've almost wrung my hands dry and Ethan's calming touch on my thigh does nothing to calm me down.

"Relax babe, it'll be fine, I promise"

"You calling me that is doing nothing to calm me down" I mumble.

He chuckles, "Fair enough, but please stop giving yourself a heart attack. Kathy will be there and she already adores you"

"Even though the last time we saw, I walked out on her and you"

Ethan sighs, "I'll slap you upside the head, I've been told that always knocks your senses back"

I scoff and punch his shoulder, "Shut up" I look up, "Oh shit we're here"

He chuckles as the majestic gates open up automatically.

The last time I was here, I could hear music from the gates,  but now it's eerily quiet.

We barely had a spot to park in but now I see I could host an entire marathon here in his compound.

The instant we park, a uniformed man appears at my side and opens the door for me. I turn to Ethan to see the same happening at his side.

He leans over and kisses the side of my head, "I'm here" he whispers, "It'll be fine"

I force a smile for his benefit and let the man help me out of the car.

Ethan comes round to support me and shoots me one last encouraging smile before we start ascending the stairs to the entrance.

Last time I was here, the doors were wide open, but now they're opened for us and a man in a suit who could be Alfred's twin bows, literally bows to us.

"Welcome, young master and miss"

I turn to Ethan, "He's joking right?"

I turn to the man, "you're joking right?"

His face remains impassive like he's looking right through me.

Ethan chuckles and places a hand on the small of my back and leads me further into the house.

Sorry, mansion.

When I was here, we walked through the front door, turned right and entered what I assume is a ballroom or something.

Now, I have to gawk at the actual interior of the Black residence.

Huge golden and silver chandeliers, expensive art covering the walls, furniture I couldn't afford if I added together all my life earnings till I'm eventually killed (and spies get paid a lot). Oh and let's not forget the amount of maids and butlers, all in uniform bowing to Ethan like he's the freaking prince.