39: CARTOON DUST FIGHTS

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to think of more ways to get myself suspended again"

Sophie rolls her eyes and collapses next to me, using one hand to wipe the sweat off her brow.

"I could break one of your limbs, you can choose which one"

I shoot her a sarcastic smile, "gee, thanks bestie"

She shrugs, leaning back against the padded wall and closing her eyes, "I'm amazing like that"

I roll my eyes and mirror her position, feeling my body weigh down with fatigue. Today is the last Saturday in April so that means intense training which also means intense exhaustion.

My eyes scan the room we're in. Dark padded walls (the boys liked to throw themselves into it), and about two dozen junior agents, some sparring (with themselves and with the dummies scattered around) in the middle and the others lining the walls, talking, watching and like me and Sophie, all but passing out.

We'd gone through the works, warm ups (stretches, cardio, weights), the obstacle courses (rope climbing, scaling walls and those stupid barbed wire nightmares), weapons training, logistics (because contrary to what the twins believe, you actually need to be smart to carry out a successful mission) and finally, sparring.

"You know I'm going to kill your boyfriend, right?" I point out, feeling for the rapidly forming bruise on my stomach that my sparring partner slash soon-to-be-deceased brother gave me.

She scoffs, "Just don't touch Lilian and West" she reminds me of their unborn children.

I huff, "no promises"

"I'm surprised you can even rest, given your gargantuan incompetence" a deep voice says above me.

I sigh, I didn't prepare for a big bowl of petty idiocy today.

"First of all, don't use big words around me, please and thank you" I open my eyes to see Brandon sneering at me, he's very good with grudges, if you couldn't already tell.

"Second of all, whatever" I close my eyes again, I'm not going to get into another exchange of words with the immature chipmunk. I already accepted that I blew it, he needs to find a straw and suck it up.

"Clever comeback" he mocks me. Child.

"It's not a comeback, it's her mature way of saying fuck off" Sophie points out, opening her eyes to glare at him.

We've already established that if Brandon was on fire, Sophie would pour gasoline on him. Hell, she probably set him on fire to begin with.

"Like you know mature, Manchester" he sneers at her and I sigh, here we go again.

In a second Sophie flies to her feet "Try me Perrez, I'm begging you"

"Cam" I call out to my brother and when he looks over from the other side of the room and sees his girlfriend and the person she hates most in the world staring themselves down, he rushes over.

He puts a calming hand on Sophie's back and glares at Brandon, "Can't you go find a dummy to punch or something?"

The idiot smirks and glances back at Sophie, "Of course, let me know when she's ready to go"

If real fights weren't strictly forbidden, Brandon would be caught in the middle of one of those cartoon dust fights featuring Sophie, Cam and of course, me.

Instead the three of us glare at his retreating back as he whistles away. I swear he survives off of hatred.

Sophie sighs and leans against Cam. "Come on babe, they're serving chocolate cupcakes at the cafeteria today" I watch as he leads her away and I sigh and fall back into my former position.