35: GET USED TO IT

Ethan blinks once, twice, then closes his eyes and inhales.

"Say that one more time" his voice is tight.

"I am a spy, a secret agent, whatever it is you understand" my voice is surprisingly steady considering the vast amount of trouble I'm in.

Ethan exhales and opens his eyes, I see the disbelief and disappointment, like he can't believe I'm lying to him after everything.

"Dylan" he sighs, tired.

I raise up a hand to stop him, "Before you say anything like oh and I'm Captain America or really Dylan? When you're ready to tell the truth you know where to find me you should know that I am not lying"

He runs his hands through his hair and pulls at the ends, "You're telling me that you're a spy and what I saw tonight was a mission, Dylan that's crazy"

"Just because it's crazy doesn't mean it's not true" I argue, frustrated that he's not believing me.

His eyebrows furrow and I meet his gaze head-on as he searches my eyes.

"You're serious" he concludes.

I throw my hands up in exasperation, "I sure hope so or else I've been living in a delusional bubble my whole life!"

Ethan reaches out and grabs my hands, sandwiching them with his, "This all sounds farfetched to me so please walk me through it"

I sigh and tell him everything, from my parents to my life with my brothers, explaining all the times I had to leave and stand him up, down to tonight.

He drops my hands and staggers back, leaning heavily on the hood of his car, "At the movies, the guy... That was you?" I nod.

"When you left and disappeared for a week, you were in Russia on a mission?"

Another nod.

"Tonight was a mission?"

This boy is extremely slow for a smarty pants.

"Yes Ethan, can you stop repeating everything I already said?"

He shakes his head, "Your brothers, Christ even Mary?"

I shake my head, "Not yet, she gets to decide what she wants for her life"

He nods and then freezes, "Shit"

I frown, "What?"

"I'm not supposed to know this am I?"

"Well-"

"Shit Dylan, it's supposed to be a secret, you could get into so much trouble"

I shrug, "I'm already in enough"

He curses again and pulls me to his chest, wrapping his arms tightly around me. I sigh and melt into his arms, burying my head in the crook of his neck.

"I'm so sorry" he murmurs into my hair, "For misunderstanding, for forcing you to tell me your secret, for being such a jerk"

"It's not your fault" I mumble, stroking his back. "I'm sorry for having to lie to you and keep things from you"

He exhales, "You have nothing to be sorry for, you had no other choice"

"How are you not freaking out and running for the hills? I half expected you to faint, that would've been funny to be honest" I muse.

He chuckles, "it'll need some getting used to but I'll later come to terms with the fact that my girlfriend is a badass spy."

I pull back to meet his eyes with my wide ones, "Girlfriend?"

I can't really tell due to the lighting but I'm about one hundred and ten percent sure he's blushing, "If you'd like to be, that is" he mumbles, dropping his head.

I let out a breathy laugh and hug him back to me, "Ethan Black's girlfriend" I roll the words around on my tongue, enjoying how they feel. "I love the sound of that"

He chuckles, "Dylan Cooper's boyfriend. I could get used to that" he kisses my hair, "Thank you for trusting me with your truth"

I suddenly remember something and I pull away slightly, smiling sheepishly, "What?" he asks with an eyebrow raised.

I shrug, "There's just one more thing I've been hiding from you"

"Yeah?"

I exhale and my palms rest on his chest, I inch my hand forward and retrieve the locket from underneath his T-shirt, "This" I glance at him briefly before looking back at the locket, "Belonged to my mom and before your party, me"

There's silence and I chance a glance at him only to see that he's smiling.

"Took you long enough"

I blink, taken back, "huh?"

He chuckles and his hand covers mine, "I've known it was you for a while now" he reveals and my mouth drops open.

He smiles, "You weren't very subtle, your reaction when you saw the locket, the fact that you had the sketch and that cheap lie you fed me to cover it up"

My mouth closes and I bury my head in his chest, groaning in embarrassment. He chuckles and his arms come round to hold me, "I knew for sure, however, the night you kissed me"

"Why didn't you say anything?" I mumble.

I feel him shrug, "I wanted you to tell me in your own time"

I sigh, "I didn't tell you at the time cause I was scared" I admit, pulling back to look up at him. "I didn't understand why I was feeling so weird and I didn't know what it meant. I'm sorry"

Ethan smiles and presses a soft kiss to my forehead. "I understand, I'm glad it's yours though, you'd probably kill me if someone else claimed it"

I chuckle, "I wouldn't kill you, I'd kill her"

His brows furrow slightly, "Dylan, you didn't kill Phoebe right?"

I frown and he continues, "I know she had alterior moves and she lied and all but tell me you didn't kill her" he pleads.

I shake my head furiously, "I didn't kill her, I don't kill people"

He let's out a sigh and pulls me back to him, "Thank you"

I sigh, "You sound happy that she's alive somewhere"

Ethan groans "We aren't doing this again"

I shrug, "I'm a jealous girlfriend, get used to it"

He chuckles and ruffles my hair, "I look forward to it"

***

Hey guys! This chapter didn't really flow to me and I'm sorry if it feels weird to read cause it definitely felt weird to write... But lemme know your thoughts still.

Question: What's the most farfetched thing anyone has ever told you?

💕Sophie