Promise

Last week was the fight where it happened. Steve and Bucky were trying their hardest to keep safe but what happened seemed to be inevitable. In most of their fights, they were outnumbered but never this bad. 

Bucky was being crowded by at least 15 people, while Steve was about 100 yards away fighting about 10. All of a sudden Bucky let out a scream. Everything went silent for Steve. He fought harder than he ever could. In less than 30 seconds everyone around Steve was knocked out. 

He rushed as fast as he could to Bucky. He was shot in the stomach and bleeding out badly. About a minute later an Ambulance arrived taking Bucky. Steve wasn't allowed to go in the ambulance.

He called Nat begging her to pick him up. He couldn't do anything by himself. He was an absolute mess. 

Nat didn't allow him to see Bucky that night. She knew it would be too hard on him. She got a call from the hospital that night after she got Steve to take a shower. They said Bucky was in a coma.

The bullet that hit Bucky nicked some organs that spilled bacteria into the bloodstream and that caused an infection. That infection induced a coma.

She'd tell Steve when he woke up tomorrow. It would be too much for him tonight. They couldn't visit him tomorrow because he was going into immediate surgery that night and still would be in it tomorrow. 

The bullet hit right next to a big vein and they had to make sure he didn't bleed to death and they had to get the bullet out.

Steve then walked out of the bathroom and a large t-shirt and baggy sweatpants. He's stayed at Natasha's before so he has a bunch of extra clothes here along with a bedroom. Techniquely it was a guest room, but Steve was there so often it was basically his. 

"Hey Steve," Nat said softly

"How's Buck?" Steve asked getting straight to the point. His voice held so much concern

"I'll tell you tomorrow hun. It'll just be too much for you right now."

"When will we get to see him?" Steve knew they probably couldn't get to see him tomorrow as he would probably be in surgery. 

"They'll tell us when he gets out of surgery then we can go see him. They're moving him to a special hospital of Stark's so when he's done with surgery you'll be able to stay in the same building as him."

"I don't want to wait!" Steve pouted, "I need to see him now."

"He's in surgery now Steve. He won't get better without it. Now go get some sleep."

"Okay." 

Steve was too tired to argue.

He went to his room, turned the lights off and climbed into bed. He closed his eyes. He knew he wasn't going to sleep. 

~~~ 2 days later of Steve being an absolute wreck ~~~

*RING RING*

"Hello?"

"Is this Natasha Romanoff?"

"Yes, it is."

"James has been relocated to Stark Charity Hospital. We gave the hospital all the names you gave us that are allowed to see James. You can now visit him whenever you'd like."

"Thank you."

And Natasha hung up.

"Steve get up! I have news!" Nat said banging on his door. A millisecond later the door was opened to a disheveled looking Steve. 

"What?! Is it Bucky!?" Steve asked worriedly

"Yes, its Bucky. We can visit him, but I don't think the hospital wants a grungey Steve walking about so shower and change then we'll leave."