5. CDC

After what Daryl said last night, I really couldn't sleep. Even after he fell asleep, I stayed up. I couldn't believe it was his dad. I don't regret killing his dad and I never will, but a part of me is scared that one day Daryl will kill me for it. Maybe even Merle one day, if he is alive.

The sun started coming through and I knew it had to be around six in the morning. I slowly and quietly unzipped the sleeping bag and left Daryl's tent. I was too scared to be around him. Their dad was a horrible, evil man, who deserved what he got. As I was walking I saw Shane and Rick talking by the cars. That's when the memory of what Shane did and almost did entered my brain. I stopped dead in my tracks and looked at them. They hadn't yet seen me, but I needed to talk to Rick about if we were leaving the camp or not.

I took a deep breath and started walking towards Rick and Shane. As I got closer I could hear Shane obviously disagreeing with Rick. "What's the matter?" I asked. Both Rick and Shane turned around to look at me. Shane quickly looked away and Rick squinted his eyes. "Where did you just come from? I thought you were in Shane's tent?" Rick asked me. It took me a second to answer. "I slept in Daryl's tent. His tent is bigger and he is skilled. I was just safer with him. You know?" I told Rick. Hoping he doesn't see through my lie.

"I wanna head to the CDC, but Shane wants to shoot for Fort Benning. Which would you rather head to?" Rick asked me. I was a little shocked. Even as kids, Rick never asked for my opinion. "I say we head for the CDC first. They may have a cure. If the CDC is a bust, we will head for Fort Benning." I told Rick. Rick nodded his head. I went to go start packing and noticed everyone was no up and awake.

It had been a few hours now and I was helping carry walkers to the burn pile. Andrea was still on the group with Amy. My heart broke for her. If I ever lost Rick, I don't know what I would do. Rick had already tried to talk to Andrea, but she just put a gun in her face and Daryl keeps saying we need to take the shot. Truth is, people need to let her grieve. One walker isn't going to take down all of us. I looked over at Carl and he smiled at me. I smiled back and waved. I went to pick up another walker corpse, but then I saw Amy move. I knew what was happening. I knew Amy had turned. Me and others watched as Andrea talked to Amy and told her how much she loved her. I knew what came next and I didn't want to see it. I turned around and heard the shot. After that we took the dead loved ones up to this hill and buried them. People need to grieve and sometimes a funeral helps them get closure. So all I'm hoping is these people are able to get closure.

Another hour or two had went by and Jim had been ratted out that he was bit. Rick said we all now needed to head to the CDC. I went and grabbed my pack, as I turned around I bumped into Shane. My breath caught in my throat. I was frozen in place. "I'm sorry, June. Please believe me. I don't know what came over me, but please just know I'm sorry. Please forgive me." Shane pleaded with me. He went to grab my hand, but I put them to my chest. "Please stay away from me, Shane. Please." I said to Shane, looking down at the ground. Not wanting to look into those eyes.

I was still looking at the ground, but I could see he was slowly walking backwards. I waited until his boots were no longer in my eye sight. I looked up and saw Daryl looking at me. I swallowed hard and looked back down at the ground and started walking away. "Maybe I need to leave this group. I got Shane who tried to rape and now I have Daryl. I killed his father and even after last night, what he said. A part of me believes he wants to kill me." I said to myself. I was near the RV when I heard a whistle come from beside me. I looked to my left and saw Daryl. "Ride with me. It will be cramped in that RV. I got the room." Daryl said to me. Though, I'm terrified he will kill me at some point, I don't think Daryl would kill me with Rick around. I started to walk to his trust and put my pack on the floorboard.