41. The Journey Ends in Sorrow

"It's the only way. Michonne isn't family. If sacrificing her saves my family then I'm gonna do what I need to do. No one else needs to know. Especially, not June." Rick says to me and Hershel. I look down at the ground briefly and feel guilt. I wasn't okay with just handing someone over to that psycho. Especially someone who has helped us.

          "You gonna tell 'em? You gonna tell June after it's done?" I ask Rick. Rick looks at me and sighs.

          "Not till after. I know not everyone will agree with it, but this needs to be done. We have to do it today. It has to be quiet. June can't catch a scent of this." Rick says. I look between him and Hershel. I look down at the ground and decide to ask the one question that really needs an answer to. "You gotta plan?" I ask him.

          "We tell her we need to talk. Away from the others." Rick states to me. I look at him and then at Hershel and I see the conflict on his face. I lightly shake my head and look back up at Rick. "This ain't us, man." I say to him. We aren't those type of people who sacrifice others.

          Hershel was quick to agree with me. "No. No, it isn't." Hershel says before limping away on his crutches. I look back towards Rick.

          "We do this, we avoid a fight. No one else dies." Rick says to me. I look down at my feet and I would be lying if a chance at June surviving this doesn't make me have a little hope. But, I and June could never live knowing we allowed this man to live.

            I look back at Rick and I lie straight through my teeth. "All right.".

           Rick nods his head at me and steps closer to me. "We need someone else." Rick says. I immediately know who he is referring to. I nod my head at him. "I'll talk to him." I say to Rick, but Rick quickly shoots me down.

          "I'll do it." Rick says. I stare at him for a few moments. Why the hell would Rick ever want to talk to my brother?

          I step a little closer to Rick. "I'll go with you." I say, but again, Rick quickly shoots me down. "No! Just me." Rick says before walking away.

           After our conversation, I walked into the main block and saw Beth with Judith. I give Judith a small smile. "June woke up. She went looking for you I assume." Beth says to me. I nod my head at her and just as I was about to head out and look for June, Glenn stops me. "Hey. You wanna come out and help us put these traps out?" Glenn asks me. I look at him a little confused.

          "Michonne made some traps that will blow their tires out if they come back into the gates. Maggie and Carl are gonna make as much noise as possible, give me, you and Michonne time to lay the traps out in the yard." Glenn says to me. My heart drops a little knowing that Rick plans to hand her over today. I wait a moment and nod my head. "Sure. Let's do it." I say as we both walk out of the cell block and to the truck.

          We watch as Maggie and Carl head down in the fences and start attracting the walkers. Glenn opens the gates and jumps in the bed of the truck with me while Michonne drives us down into the field.

           "Michonne." Glenn says as she stops the truck and jumps out and starts slicing walkers heads off while Glenn and I drag the traps out of the truck and make sure they hold still in the ground.

           "So, you and June doing okay?" Glenn asks me. I look at him and sigh. I hate people being all up in our business, but I know it's all in good nature.

          "Let's talk after we get these traps in the ground and we're back behind those fences." I say to Glenn.

          I hear Glenn chuckle before helping me.